Morning Dew

The stairs leading up to Dumbledore's office were so secure, you couldn't hear anything outside of the walls. The silence made the sound of Io's footsteps echo, no matter how quiet she tried to be. She walked by the griffin statue often, but she never stopped to think what it was hiding.

Io raised her fist to knock on a large wooden door, but before her knuckles could reach, the door swung open revealing the grandeur of Dumbledore's office. All the portraits of previous headmasters paid her no mind. Some were reading, some were sleeping. Others were missing from their frames.

Dumbledore sat behind a large mahogany desk. There were trinkets strewn about, but at the center was a large book which he was currently scribbling away in.

"Good evening, Ms Visage." The headmaster peered over his half-moon spectacles. His smile was always warm, and the tone of his voice was consistently friendly. "And where is Ms. Visage?"

Io stumbled forward, leaving the door ajar. "She got held up by a friend, sir. She'll be here in just a moment."

"Very well." Dumbledore stood, pushing his large gold-trimmed chair back. He started making his way down the few stairs that separated them. "How are your studies coming along? Have you learned anything new during your time here at Hogwarts?"

"Yes, sir. I'm particularly enjoying Professor Snape's Defense Against the Dark Arts classes."

"I figured you would." He gleamed. "And what about friends - have you made any friends?"

"Erm - a few." Io started to think but could only count the amount of people she spoke to regularly on one hand.

Dumbledore laced his fingers together, resting just below his waist. The length of his white beard brushed his hands. "As I recall, you've grown particularly close with Mr. Malfoy - and Mr. Potter."

Io was... somewhat shocked that Dumbledore knew this. Then again, he is an amazing wizard, and it shouldn't be a surprise at all. Aside from the professors who have the sharpest eyes (with the exception of Professor Binns), the portraits are always muttering. They probably see more than she dared to imagine.

"It's good to have friends." He said with a cool, calm tone.

The sound of footsteps reaching the metal stairs just behind Dumbledore's head brought Io's eyes up to a familiar face.

"Uncle!" She ran to meet him as Dumbledore watched with silent fondness as the two hugged after having been apart for months.

Altair Visage wore a long woolen peacoat. His glasses hung just at the very tip of his nose, and his black and white hair was pushed back in a fashionable manner. "Good to see you've kept my niece alive and healthy, Albus."

"From what I've heard," the elder put a hand on Io's shoulder. "She's managing well enough on her own."

"Uncle Altair!" Another voice emerged. Aster greeted their uncle with another embrace. "What are you doing here? I thought we were meeting you in London?"

"The Leaky Cauldron was kind enough to inform me that the Floo network here could go directly to Professor Dumbledore's office." Altair glanced over. "Thank you again. I see Aster is also alive and healthy - although, you do look a little stuffy. Why are your eyes red?"

Aster tapped just below her eyes with cold fingers. "Nevermind, it's nothing important really."

Dumbledore directed them to a more open area of his office. "We were just discussing Io's friendship with Mr. Malfoy and Mr. Potter. It seems their paths frequently cross."

"I see." Altair pushed his glasses up. "Girls, do you still have those trinkets I gave you?"

Both girls reached into their pockets, Io holding out her moonstone, Aster with her jade. They'd almost forgotten they existed as moving them from pocket to pocket was just a habit after having them for months.