A Dark Arrival

"Hufflepuff!"

The Great Hall erupted with the final bout of applause as the final first year took his seat with the rest of his house. Nearly 150 students had been sorted this year, and, at this point, everyone was just waiting to move along and get to the feast.

Dumbledore stood up, towering over the rest of his guests, as Professor McGonagall lifted the Sorting Hat from its resting place, ready to commence with the rest of the evening, but not before the doors to the Hall opened up once more. The sound of its hinges parting set an eerie silence over the crowd as heads turned one by one to catch a glimpse at their late arriving guests.

While the headmaster did not appear to be surprised, the rest of the eyes stared. The other professors were especially confused as they were not informed of these 'uninvited' strangers.

Two girls, too mature to be first years but too young to be professors, stepped foot into the Great Hall.

Their eyes did not land on anyone or anything except the seat they were supposed to take to be sorted into their houses. While their mannerisms were atypical of students, those were not the only oddities that caught the attention of their peers. Onlookers could only describe them as cat-like, and they gave off an aura that was not to be toyed with. A black cat and a white cat strutting down the Great Hall like no one was watching.

Io's sapphire hair complimented her small stature, petite and quaint yet intimidating with her air. She towered above the first years in a long-sleeved black satin dress that stopped a few inches above her knees. The clunky heel of her boots thunked with each step though she did not appear as intimidating as her counterpart. Aster's long, silver locks framed her face with small ringlets towards the bottom, keeping anyone from catching her expression as she moved forward in her leather jacket, black jeans, and boots. The two gave off the impression that they were purebloods, but no one would dare guess. Just who were these girls who were too old to be sorted, too young to teach, and seemed out of place in the silent hall?

Professor McGonagall scurried over to Dumbledore, worry gathering under her eyes. He reassured her quietly and out of earshot from the other professors, and the Sorting ceremony continued.

Io released Aster's hand, walking up the few stairs at an even pace. The silence of the hall made the creak of the stool echo. She crossed her legs while keeping eye contact with her twin.

The Sorting Hat was silent for a moment, but Io could hear the voice in her head.

"So you're the one I was forewarned about. The Pukwudgie healer with a darker core and a blackened stare to match. So where to put you..."

Io remained silent, keeping her composure, never once making eye contact with anyone other than Aster.

The Sorting Hat chuckled in her ear.

"How complex - how very complex. So many secrets in this mind, this dark and God-fearing mind. Where could you go but among the darkness of a like minded crowd..."

And after several seconds, "Slytherin!" roared and made the walls rumble.

The girls were told not to reveal too much other than what was necessary, and from what Io had read about Slytherin, it said more about her personality than she imagined. While her Pukwudgie peers had personalities of all kinds, the aura around the Slytherin house table was very distinct - dark, exclusive, yet tempting and all too inviting.

Io stood up but did not go too far, waiting for her sister's turn.

Aster sat down quietly, her eyes straight forward just as Io did.