Into the Pensieve

They say that twins naturally possess an odd ability to sense each other - when one is in pain, the other feels it, when something is wrong, the other somehow knows. Those moments between Io and Aster were few and far between. As teenagers, they enjoyed their individual lives too much. Aster was naturally more social, ingraining herself within many circles of people who she didn't necessarily enjoy. Io was on the quieter side, and only those who knew her well enough could recognize the subtle changes in her face that would give away different emotions.

When the twins were younger, they were inseparable. They'd run off with mischievous grins, making snow fall in one room while making the other hot as a summer day. The childish fun never dissipated as they grew older, but the factors outside of the rooms they used to play in have done their job.

Over time, the saying proved to be true, but neither of them knew how to go about approaching the other about what they felt.

Professor Snape took Draco, now limp but well, to the infirmary. Aster walked around the bathroom, putting everything back in its place - the shattered porcelain sinks, the pipes bent in different directions, and the charred spots that stained the walls. Once everything looked back to normal, she realized Io had run off.

She found her sister in a different bathroom just across the hall. Io was furiously scrubbing her hands, every inch of skin, each finger - she continuously pumped soap, letting it sud under the motions with hot water. The steam rose up, fogging the mirrors.

Aster watched, and for the first time, she didn't know how to comfort her sister. Through the building steam, she felt Io's pain, heartbreak, and panic. It seeped into her skin like a shrapnel piercing her chest. It was such a foreign sensation, and she found herself clutching her chest to ease the pressure.

Io didn't speak as she scrubbed her hands raw. Her flesh looked tender and sore.

Aster called her attention, but she didn't stop, only pausing momentarily before continuing with the ritual she was determined to repeat until she could no longer feel the stain of Draco's blood under her nails.

"Hey," Aster inched forward, reaching out with hesitation. "Talk to me."

Io continued. Her hair was dripping with water, and the motion of her furious cleansing concealed the smallest tremble from her shoulders.

"Talk to me, please." Aster now finally got a good look at her twin's face.

Io's eyes were shut tight; she was keeping everything out. When the water started sputtering, interrupting her focus, she threw her hands down, slamming on the sink. The mirrors rattled.

Aster rushed over, wrapping her arms around Io. She laid her head against her sister's back, now feeling the full force of her body's tremors. She squeezed tightly, letting the quake move through her until both girls were now moving as one.

When the shaking slowed into heaving deep breaths, Aster loosened her grip. She turned Io to face her, and pulled out her wand from her pocket.

"Let me see."

Though Io wouldn't meet her gaze, she understood, moving a lock of hair and tucking it back.

Aster raised her wand and let it rest on Io's temple.

The scene played through Aster's mind like a rush of cold air - Io walking into the bathroom, stepping through the puddles on the floor. The sound of Harry's curse from the other side of the stalls, and the sight of Draco's body hitting the ground. But seeing the look on his face when Io had his head in her arms made her pull away, backing out of the memory and back to the fog filled bathroom. It was an expression she'd never expected to see on such a cold face, always intent on being still as stone. Draco's eyes didn't leave Io's even as the blood drained from his cheeks.