Russian Blue

"Er -"

"What do we..."

"It's not - I mean - well -"

Io poked a fairly large green package with her wand. There were two of them, one on Io's bed and one on Aster's. They looked like a comically accurate Christmas present paired with a silver ribbon on top with each girl's name written in clean script in the corner.

"Did anyone else get one?" Io asked, still uneasy. "They're huge. I can't imagine an owl dropping these off. It must've been one of the house elves."

"I have a sneaking suspicion that Blaise got one, too, if it is what I think it is." Aster started to tug.

The second the ribbon fell off the box, the lid shot up, levitating a few feet above the box to reveal snow falling from the inside. In the main portion of the box was a miniature Christmas tree with a banner that had a date and time.

"You've got to be joking." Aster jumped on the box, doing her best to keep the lid down with much difficulty. "This is Slughorn's idea of a party invitation?!"

Io pushed hers towards the end of the bed, hoping one of the cats would mangle it. "Y'know, I don't think I'll open mine."

The younger of the two gave up trying, and flung the lid across the room before turning the box over and shaking it. Maybe something would fall out. With a couple of aggressive motions, a handful of treats started thumping on her bed - a chocolate frog, a couple of licorice wands, several sugar quills, and some caramels wrapped in gold foil. This quickly convinced Io to retrieve her box which was already being inspected by someone's tabby cat, casting Arresto Momentum as soon as the lid shot up, so she could find the sweets. Hard as she tried, she couldn't resist a good caramel - or three.

"I'll trade my caramels for your licorice -"

"Say no more." Io tossed the candy wands over her shoulder as Aster began aiming for Io's pillow with the caramels.

Aster started opening the licorice wands, hastily taking a bite with a smile. "I take it all back. I welcome Slughorn's invitations any day of the week."

The eldest finally found the small card in her box.

Please join me for the Slug Club's Christmas party.

Students must be dressed accordingly,

and you will be allowed to bring someone

- Slug Club member or otherwise -

to accompany you.

Io handed the card to her sister who raised an eyebrow before commenting. "We can bring dates? Well, who are you considering?"

"I, uh... I don't think I'll bring anyone," she responded, shaking her head. "Seems like a lot of unnecessary debating."

Aster tapped the card in her hand. The two still hadn't completely reconciled their hesitation over sharing secrets, and she wanted to be supportive by suggesting Io ask Draco if only to further their interactions and maybe fan the spark they'd shared. Tonight would be the night to have this conversation - no more waiting or being petty. Aster was tired of holding back, and there was every bit of a chance that Io felt the same way. Maybe then, her sister could give some advice about how to approach her complicated feelings for a certain bright witch who she'd been trying to avoid ever since. If she couldn't skip Herbology, the most she could do was avoid any conversations that had anything to do with this party or Hermione's crush.

Now that the invites were officially here, all of these conversation topics seemed to be inevitable.

Shoveling the treats into her robe, Io left the dormitory with a little more energy than usual thanks to the mounds of sugar in her pockets. Aster followed behind her, neither of them expecting the sudden roar in the hallways that would disrupt the positive mood of the day.