Serpent On Fire

The twins pulled out of the Pensieve. Io crashed to the floor, her eyes bloodshot, head pounding. She had no more energy left for tears, so her body resorted to violent shakes, panic-induced tremors. At least the ache in her muscles distracted her from everything she'd just seen. She heaved, trying not to lose herself completely.

Aster exploded. She grabbed the decanter closest to her and threw it to the floor. Shattered glass scattered around her feet, and the feel of it cutting into her shoes didn't phase her. The screams erupted out of her throat, guttural and dry.

Altair was standing with Dumbledore now, hands tucked behind him. When he received Dumbledore's notice, he praised Merlin that he made the decision to make the trip a month early. Only two wizards had ever successfully apparated across continents, and he wasn't willing to take the risk. However, the daunting task of being here once the girls had finally learned of all the secrets he held close all these years made it all the more difficult to face them.

Io could only see red. Knowing how their parents really did love them and had been alive for God-knows how long broke her mind into a million pieces. They mourned for their parents and the little memories they had of them, and now all those sentimental stories have been charred by everything in the Pensieve.

When Aster could find nothing else to crumble in between her fingers, she stared at her hands, fresh cuts across her flesh. Small red droplets hit the stone floor.

Dumbledore calmly waved his wand, and everything went back into its place, pristine, whole, and glimmering.

"Girls," Altair said calmly. "Gather yourselves."

Aster's head turned slowly, her eyes meeting her uncle's. Her throat was dry and sore, but from the pain that boiled in the pit of her stomach, she spoke clearly. "Gather myself? You expect me to gather myself? You LIED!"

"Why didn't you tell us?" Io sat back, still on the floor. Her face was still, and there was a hollowness to her speech. "Why did we have to see all of that?"

The contrast between the twins' demeanor made it difficult for either of the elders to approach them. Instead, they stood, knowing the only option was to be patient. Words and excuses were of no use to anyone.

Aster's eyes were bloodshot with rage. "This entire time, you had us fooled by stupid stories of you and our father as children, telling us over and over again that we should make them proud, and how our mother... Our mother..." She stumbled back into a small table, leaning onto it for support.

Io looked at Altair. "He tried to hurt her, didn't he? That man, Dolohov."

Altair nodded, never breaking eye contact. "Yes."

"What happened to them?" She asked in a voice just above a whisper, unsteady and trembling. "Are they... Are they still in Azkaban?"

Dumbledore stepped forward. "There was a mass breakout, but as far as we are aware, their whereabouts are unknown. The Dementors that once guarded Azkaban have also abandoned their post, so if there were others, they will not be sought out."

"What about Dolohov?" Aster's breaths eased. "Did he escape?"

"Yes," Dumbledore nodded once. "It seems that due to his unwavering loyalty to Lord Voldemort, he was seen as worthy of freedom."

Io rose, feeling the air enter her lungs. She took deep breaths, steadying herself, before holding out her hand to Aster who appeared beside her. "I know you showed this to us for a reason. I just don't understand that if Papa wanted you to show us this, how was it that we were able to see their capture if he handed Uncle the vials before that?"