Jade's dad always scolded her for not wearing her seatbelt, and now she understood why.

“Ouch.”

"Listen carefully, Jade. You're just a novelty," Evangeline told her, narrowing her eyes. "Don't think you're special, okay? One night with them like those two girls who slept with everyone, except for Frank and Finn, and you'll walk out the front door!"

Jade frowned.

"Are you telling me that I'm not special?"

Evangeline rolled her eyes and drove forward again.

"I'm just saying your 'dreams' won't come true because of some boys. Just give up." She shifted her shoulders, "They're only interested in you because you haven't slept with them, simple as that. And you just want to be with them because that's how you fulfil your little 'Wattpad Fantasy’ but I bet you won't have a wedding nor a happy ending."

"Why should I give up?" Jade demanded. "Why would you say something like that?"

"It's the truth. You're too average to understand," Evangeline shrugged. "I'm barely twenty-seven years old and I've already lived many lives, I've seen many people die, I've been tortured, I've broken hearts and bones, and I've taken more lives than I can remember. Believe me when I tell you that the real world is not a Wattpad novel, Jade, and there is no Prince Charming. Your 'boyfriends' have a song with that title that even says it. I was trained to be a monster more dangerous than any monster since I was a child, long before I even knew how to read and write."

"What kind of bodyguard are you?" Jade asked through gritted teeth, "Aren't you supposed to protect celebrities?”

"I was trained to kill people like your friends. I was broken and rebuilt to be a killer in heels, and yes, I'm talking about another song by your boyfriends, 'Femme Fatale' in case you're wondering," Evangeline squeezed the steering wheel hard, until her knuckles turned white. "You're just a fan who wants to sleep with Frank... And the others." She left her words hanging between them for a few moments.

Jade wasn't sure if she believed everything she'd heard, even if it sounded crazy. It still hurt and scared her.

No, Evangeline didn't scare her. What terrified Jade was becoming another girl who would end up far away and without the love of the boys.

And it would make her life miserable if she ended up with boys who thought it was fun to break hearts and had no regard for her feelings.

But she knew, from what she had seen for the last three nights, that the boys were not as Evangeline had just described them.

"You're lying," Jade said, Evangeline chuckled, "You're telling me that to push me away, but I've seen what they're like. They are kind, they always try to help everyone, they support each other and..."

"And they write songs about sex with random girls quite often, don't you think? And in case you don't know, your precious Zeth wrote 'One Night-Stand Regret' and I guess it was after sleeping with a fan. " The black-haired girl had a point, "You only think you love them because you haven't seen what they really are."

"Yes but they also wrote a lot of songs for their fans, like 'Here for Life' you know? A love letter to all the Mashers around the world, a song that tells us that no matter what, they will always be there for us and we should not give up. Maybe the one who hasn't seen them as they really are is you," Jade was already getting very angry, "I've never met kinder people than them, but you admit to being a horrible person. Who would you trust if you were me?"

"I would trust the person who knows more about pain than love," the black-haired girl eyed Jade with annoyed eyes, "I've seen the worst in the world since I was a child, but what do you see? A fairytale? Because I only see a horror story."

"Maybe it's because you don't know anything about love," Jade pouted.

"And what do you know about love, Jade?" Evangeline laughed.

"More than you. Tell me. Why did you hurt Frank if you love him?" Jade asked.

"I had my orders, and I never wanted to hurt Frank," Evangeline replied. "I put a bomb in his backpack and followed him until he entered a building where the real target was... And I did it. I detonated the bomb and the whole building burst into flames." Evangeline’s voice trembled, and the car slowed to a halt on the side of the road to Lyonfort. "Frank got out alive. And it cost him his soul and body," she continued. "I didn't know it at the time, but Frank paid a visit to Draco and Zeth instead of my original target, as he had initially told me. He took off his backpack and put it at his feet... Draco and Zeth regenerated, but he did not."

"Sorry. I didn’t know," Jade whispered and Evangeline nodded, "You said you had your orders. Tell me whoever was responsible is in prison."

"Who ordered me to use Frank as a Trojan horse is dead. But I'm still alive," she replied, “Her name was Vanessa Helsee. After completing some necessary rehab in 2018, I infiltrated the Hunter Academy. I made my way through, watching a room full of controlled Hunters training before I met with Vanessa. I was determined to avenge Frank's death, but Vanessa only laughed, revealing that Frank was alive but in critical condition. That's when she told me that Frank had visited Draco and Zeth instead of my original target.”

“And then you killed her?” Jade asked.

“I pulled my gun out, but could not kill Vanessa when she made me feel guilty for what I did to Frank.” Evie pointed to the car in front of her, "He and I had kissed and confessed our love behind the bleachers a few hours before I blew him up and....”

“So, Frank loved you,” Jade whispered, “What happened next?”

“Vanessa Helsee summoned her Hunters, all of them ready to kill me. I held my own for a while, but they soon managed to overwhelm me, pinning me down and beating me up as Vanessa activated the self-destruct mode.” She made a pause, then clenched her hands around the steering wheel and went on, “The base began to explode. I managed to escape and rushed upstairs to the heliport. I saw Vanessa running towards a chopper. Acting quickly, I shot her, and then I prepared to die. The ground beneath me was splitting, and fire was coming out from between the cracks, but Blackfox somehow found out about my suicide mission and rescued me in a helicopter before the Hunter Academy crumbled, killing everyone inside, but there are still some jobless, vengeful hunters after my head. And apparently, you're on the radar now, too."

"Then I want you to teach me how to fight," Jade said, and Evangeline's eyes widened, turning to look at the girl. "If I'm in danger, and the boys too, I want to learn to defend myself and defend them!"

"You're not the typical Wattpad girl who thinks she is special, are you?" Evangeline giggled. "Very well then. We'll start in the morning."