No future

This time I turned and fled.

I could barely see through my tears as I thumped down the stairs. I wanted to get as far away as I could from Ezekiel and his family.

I wasn't running because I was mad that he got another girl pregnant. It was obviously before he met me.

I was mad because I knew that with the baby in the way, there was no future for us.

I was blinded with tears and rage as I thundered down the stairs.

I didn't even feel it when I missed the crack and tripped. I knew I'd scraped up really bad when I saw the face of my savior.

He was an old man who quickly helped me to my feet and upon discovering that I was the princess, he offered to drive me back to the palace.

I remembered being carried in by one of the gardeners.

I now sat on my bed staring at the wall. At some points, the wallpaper would move and I would have to shake myself to keep myself from going crazy.

I pulled my knees up to my chest and rolled over.

My father was also in the room. He'd attempted to make me spill as he was wrapping my leg but I couldn't speak.

I did let him know that it was about Ezekiel and that the wedding was off.

He was now asleep on my rocking chair as he'd given up on me.

I stared at him for a while wondering how my life had gone so haywire in such a few weeks.

I'd almost forgotten about Hans and my past beat death experiences.

And now, I had been so close to getting married.

In a sudden burst of rage, I took my pillow and heaved it at the wall.

Unsatisfied, I scrambled up from my canopy bed and took hold of anything that was breakable.

A glass coaster. my specialize mug, a picture frame with a photo of Ezekiel and myself. Even my phone.

Still unsatisfied, I resorted to my lamp.

It was a very nice lamp. The body was glass and there were flowers inside.

I didn't care though, according to the world, delicate things were meant to be broken.

I chucked it at the wall yanking the wire out of the wall in the process. He flowers, now free of their glass enclosure scattered about the floor.

They were now free. Suddenly I felt like the flowers, unrestrained and scattered. I didn't need to be tied down.

I stared at the flowers in wonder. A single tear slipped from my eye and I frantically swatted it away.

I then turned to look at my father who was now awake and silently staring at me, as calm as he could be.

"Are you finished now?" He asked as if I hadn't sent a thousand dollars down the drain.

I nodded, a lump forming in my throat. He gave me a small smile and patted his lap.

That simple action took me back to third grade when I got into my first fight with Alex. I'd been absolutely sure we would never speak again.

My father had set me on his lap and let me rant on and on about Alex not interrupting once or even telling me I was wrong.

This time, I couldn't find the words to speak. I tucked my wet face into the crook of his neck and bawled my eyes out.

I cried and cried. I cried so much that at one point I forgot what I was crying about.

When I finally ran out of tears, I simply sat there with my head resting on his shoulder.

"Are you ready to talk about it?" He asked me.

I sighed blowing through my lips.

"Ezekiel's going to be a father." I finally said.

Raul stood up so fast that I tumbled off of his lap.

"You're pregnant?!" He exclaimed, eyes bulging.

"No! No!" I shouted putting my hand up innocently.

I gently pushed him back into his chair and reclaimed my seat on his lap.

"Then..." He questioned.

I swallowed the lump in my throat so that i would be able to tell him. I started from our race to me fleeing the shop.

The rage emanating off of my father was practically tangible.

His mouth was pressed into a hard line as he sat there rubbing my back.

I pushed Ezekiel to the back of my mind and just decided to focus on my father and I.

)

Three days passed. Three whole days in which I'd given up on love.

A smug Solveig arranged for the palace to be opened to some eligible young bachelors.

I was horrifically dreading the fact that I would have to put on fake smiles and hold small conversations.

My mother had claimed that she knew Ezekiel wouldn't work out from the beginning but that the Royal Wedding would still go on as soon as I found myself a suitable husband.

My father locked my room during the day so I decided to continue my studies on the island.

A woman had also been hired to teach me royal etiquette since I refused to allow my mother to do it.

I kept thinking that I had dreamt that day but very day that a passed that didn't bring Ezekiel further confirmed that I hadn't been dreaming.

I was sitting in the throne room where I had to watch my mother interact with one of the villagers from deep within the island.

"You're name?" She stated. Her voice boomed around the room.

"Spartacus." He replied bowing his head and kneeling.

I rolled my eyes. One of the first things I would do as queen would be to get rid of that ridiculous show of respect.

"Why do you come to me?" Solveig asked.

"My queen, my home has been robbed on several occasions and nobody has attempted to help me. I know who did it but he continuously defies your guard." Spartacus explained

Solveig raised an eyebrow. "Are you implying that my guard is incompetent?" She asked.

"N-no. I-"

"Please stand up." I said suddenly. He looked so silly speaking to my mother while on his knee.

Solveig turned and gave me a sharp glare.

"You're supposed to remain quiet and observe." She hissed.

I glared at her but said nothing turning back to the man.

"You were saying?" She continued.

Spartacus looked alarmed. "I just thought they maybe I could have some royal help." He clarified.

My mother scoffed. "Don't you think I have much greater affairs to deal with than this?" She asks him.

Fed up with her attitude, I stood up. "Mr. Spartacus, I will personally investigate this issue if you would just give me the name and address of the perpetrator, I'd be happy to help." I told him.

He looked at me happily but his face quickly fell as he gave my mother a panicked look.

He turned back to me. "Than-"

"No." Solveig cut in. "Aaliyah. Return to your rooms, you are no longer needed here." She commanded.

She snapped her fingers and one of her guard took my side to ensure that I left.