Plans And Requests

My mother was done, the best thing for me to do was be done as well. But it was hard to let go.

It was hard to imagine that just almost a month ago I had been happy. I'd been with Kenneth and Raul had still been my father. There was no invisible island or astonishingly handsome murderer. I wasn't worried about where my mother was or when my next meal would be.

"Tell me about Kenneth." My mother said from her spot on the bed.

We were in the middle of breakfast which consisted of someone's leftover bread with eggs and warm milk.

"He..." I took a deep breath. My face felt hot as my eyes brimmed with tears.

My mothers face softened and she sat next to me on the floor putting her arms around me.

"I'm sorry. You don't have to. It was silly of me to ask."

I laid my head on her shoulder. She wasn't wrong.

The door opened then and Wayne came in.

I gave him a confused look, he'd already came in with our food earlier.

"Your presence is requested." Wayne said to me.

I looked at him in shock. I had been here for almost two weeks and had not been out once. "For what?" I ventured.

He sighed in exasperation. "If I knew, don't you think I would have told you already?" He asked.

"No." I replied.

He shrugged. "You're right. Now come on. Hans would like to see you today, not on the next full moon."

I rolled my eyes and stood. "Can my mother come?" I asked hesitantly.

His eyes widened. "Will you just come on?" He exclaimed.

I laughed and finally followed waving goodbye to my mother who looked scared for some reason.

"I'll be fine." I assured her smiling. She didn't relax until I stooped down and hugged her. "I'll be back in a few." I promised.

I followed Wayne and waited until he locked the door again. Then we began the walk to the throne room in silence. Or so I thought.

"How did you do it?" he asked me.

"Do what?" I asked in confusion.

"Don't play stupid. How'd you get that stupid boy to come for you?" He clarified.

My mind immediately went to Kenneth. Which was impossible. "Alex?"

"That boy of Hans."

"Ezekiel?"

"That's the one. He says he's come back to be with his father but I don't believe him. It's been two weeks. The minute he noticed your absence he should have been here. I don't trust him."

My mind was racing. Had Ezekiel come to save me? Would he do that? How would we even get away?

Did he really expect me to leave my mother here? Who blatantly refused to abandon her country? Though in essence she had involuntarily abandoned them. I reasoned as an afterthought. Ink

"He's redeeming himself by agreeing to Hans plan." Wayne informed me.

All thoughts of escape left my mind.

"What plan?" I asked fearfully.

Wayne chuckled but said nothing else.

Finally we reached the room.

When the doors opened I immediately saw Hans. He smiled and held his arms wide open.

"Welcome! Welcome! My beautiful daughter in law!" he boomed.

I stayed where I was unsure of how to react. My eyes searched for Ezekiel. When I saw him I immediately relaxed. He looked fine. And such a familiar face was refreshing.

He didn't even look like he'd just traveled. His hair was slicked back and his face freshly shaven.

He was wearing a tight fitted silver suit. Seeing him in the same room as his father verified just how much they didn't look like.

Ezekiel was tan with dark hair and eyes while Hans was much much lighter and chiseled.

"Come. Come." Hans ushered me to take a seat.

I sat next to Ezekiel. I was itching to hug him. I was just so happy to see him. As bad as it sounded.

"Now isn't that beautiful?" Hans commented looking at us with pure joy on his face.

"What's going on?" I was brave enough to ask.

He sat at the head of the table and clasped his hands together. "Well the kingdom is falling to pieces. Economically and socially. The people are getting restless because they don't see their queen or whatever. There's no way I can possibly let your mother out of her cells so I must provide them with a queen. On another note, the other islands will not trade with me because they, well because they can't accept that it was necessary for me to bring this place under my own hand. You must understand, a woman is not a lead-"

"Leader? My mother lead this country on her own without a man for years."

"And it was unsuccessfull!"

"Just like now?"

"You-"

Ezekiel put his hand over mine under the table, giving me a meaningful look.

I sat back. "You're right. I'm sorry." I mended.

Hans smiled. "That's my boy. We keep our woman in check."

"I'm not his woman." I said at the same time that Ezekiel said, "nothing gets by you huh?"

Hans laughed heartily. "I do love this. A nice change from my usual entertainment." He said.

"Why'd you bring me here?" I asked impatiently.

Hans clapped his hands together. "Don't you see?" He asked smiling widely. "You're getting married!"