The Council

"Whoa. This is a fancy house," Jinx stated. Caitlyn had brought the group to a large mansion. "Come on," she urged, leading the group to the side. There were green vines growing on the side of the house up to the window on the second floor.

Caitlyn began climbing the vines, and Vi followed. Ekko, Jinx, and Alexander exchanged glances. They weren't sure if this was a good idea but decided to trust Caitlyn. They followed the two up the vines, and Caitlyn peaked through the window.

Her bedroom was empty. "Okay, the coast is clear." She opened the window and climbed in. Vi climbed in after her, then Jinx, then Ekko, and finally Alexander. As soon as he was inside, Vi asked, "So, who lives here?"

Before Caitlyn could answer, Caitlyn's mother kicked down the door and aimed her rifle at the group. They froze, clearly surprised. As soon as she saw her daughter, she lowered her rifle and said, "Caitlyn."

Then her father came in and rushed over to Caitlyn. "Oh, Caitlyn! Thank goodness you're safe." They hugged briefly, and Mrs. Kiraman added, "And you brought some strays."

"They have names, Mother," Caitlyn stated in a stern tone. "I'm sure they do. May we have a word, Caitlyn? In private?" Caitlyn glanced at the group, and Vi gave her an encouraging nod.

She followed her parents downstairs and to the living room. Caitlyn explained to her parents where she's and how she met the group. When she was done, Mrs. Kiraman was silent.

"Mother?"

"Caitlyn, do you have any idea what position you put your father and I in?"

"Seriously?! That's what you're concerned about?! Do you know what I'm concerned about?! Innocent people living on the streets, having to choose between a kingpin who takes advantage of them and a government who doesn't give a shit!"

"Caitlyn!" Mrs. Kiraman exclaimed, very surprised by her daughter's outburst. After a tense silence, Mr. Kiraman said, "She's got a point, sweetheart. At least give them a chance." Mrs. Kiraman sighed. "Alright. I'll set up a meeting with the council. You'll meet with them tomorrow morning."

Caitlyn softened and nodded. "Thank you, Mother."

"Don't thank me yet. Go and show your friends to the guest room, then get some rest." Mr. Kiraman smiled at his wife, feeling happy that she's allowing Caitlyn's friends to stay the night. Caitlyn stood up and walked back upstairs to her room.

In her room, the group was lounging around. Vi was lying on her stomach on Caitlyn's bed. Jinx and Ekko were sitting together under the window, and Alexander was sitting on a chair beside the bed on her right side.

"What'd they say?" Ekko asked. "My mother is going to set up a meeting with the council. We'll meet them tomorrow morning."

"That was fast," Vi commented as Caitlyn flopped onto her bed beside her. "It's not surprising, though," Alexander stated. "How come?" Jinx asked. "A mother's love is hard to ignore," he simply replied. "Or parental love in general," Jinx added, smirking at him.

Alexander chuckled, knowing full well what she was talking about. Caitlyn sighed and sat up. "I should show you all to your guest rooms."

"Wait, they're allowing us to stay the night?" Ekko questioned. "Yes."

"Nice," Vi said with a soft smile. Caitlyn smiled back and stood up. The group stood up as well and followed her out the door. She showed them to their rooms and returned to her own. Caitlyn was exhausted and wanted to sleep.

She tore off her outfit and put on her pajamas. She flopped into bed and fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

......................................................................