The Firelights

Jinx led Vi and Caitlyn to the hidden door of the hideout and knocked. A slot opened, revealing an eye, like at the brothel. "Hey, guess what? I some new allies," Jinx said. The person grunted, and the slot closed. The door slid open, revealing sunlight shining on the other side. "Come on," Jinx urged, walking through the doorway.

Vi and Caitlyn followed her, and their eyes had to adjust to the bright sun. When their eyes adjusted, they were amazed by the beauty of the place.

"Welcome to our humble abode!" Jinx exclaimed. "What is this place?" Caitlyn breathed as she and Vi looked around in awe. "It's the home of the Firelights. Our home," Jinx explained. "You look good for a dead girl."

Startled, Caitlyn and Vi turned to see Ekko, who had his arms crossed over his chest. "Ekko?" Vi asked. "Yeah, it's me. Where've you been all this time?"

"I got arrested and thrown into Still Water. Caitlyn broke me out." Ekko looked over at Caitlyn and frowned. "She's a Pilty, isn't she?"

"'Pilty'?" Caitlyn asked. "Yes, she is, but she's on our side."

"How do you know?" Ekko asked. "Because not only did she bust me out of jail, but she also saved my life. You can trust her."

Ekko frowned again, and Jinx slung her arm around his shoulders. "Don't worry, Ekko. You know I wouldn't bring her if she wasn't a threat."

He sighed and said, "Fine, she can stay."

"Thank you," Caitlyn replied. "Don't mention it." Vi then chuckled. "What's so funny?" he questioned. "Nothing. I just remembered all those times I had to hose you down because you got covered in grease in the junkyard."

"That was a long time ago. People change," Ekko stated. "I know." Vi walked over to him and hugged him. "I missed you, Little Man." Ekko chuckled at the old nickname and hugged her back. "I missed you, too, Vi."

"Awwwww," Jinx cooed, and Caitlyn chuckled. "This is sweet." Vi and Ekko released each other and turned to see Alexander smiling at them. "Hey, Alexander," Ekko greeted. "Hi, Ekko. Jinx, I'm glad you're home safe."

Jinx smiled and said, "Vi, Caitlyn, this is Alexander. Alexander, this is my sister and her girlfriend."

Caitlyn and Vi turned red at the statement. "No, we're not dating," Caitlyn stated. "We're just friends, Powder."

"It's Jinx, and sure. You're totally friends," she teased. Alexander and Ekko chuckled. "Well, it's nice to meet you both," Alexander said. "It's nice to meet you, too," Caitlyn replied. Then Ekko asked, "So, Caitlyn, how came to the city?"

"I came because I wanted to solve a case."

"Wait, are you an Enforcer?" Jinx asked, suddenly feeling anxious and angry. "Yes, but I'm not like the others."

"Why should we believe you?" Ekko demanded. "Easy, Ekko," Alexander said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Vi, why are you with an Enforcer?" Jinx demanded. "I already told you guys. She busted me out of jail and saved my life. I promise; she's here to help."

"Help? Why would a damn Enforcer help us when all they've caused is pain?" Ekko hissed. "Because she's not like them. I swear, she's not." Before either Jinx or Ekko could respond, Alexander said, "I believe Vi. I think we can trust you, Caitlyn."

"Alexander -" Jinx started, but he raised a hand, telling her not to speak. "I know you two don't trust Enforcers for good reasons, but I can tell she has a good heart."

Vi and Caitlyn relaxed. They were both glad that Alexander was giving Caitlyn a chance. Jinx then muttered, "I'm going to go tinker," and walked away. "Powder, wait," Vi called, but her sister ignored her.

Ekko sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "I'll go check on her."

"Okay," Alexander replied as Ekko followed Jinx. "I'm sorry about them," he said to Vi and Caitlyn. "It's fine. It's quite understandable," Caitlyn replied. "How long have you known my sister and Ekko?" Vi asked.

"7 years."

"Wait, that's as long as..." Vi trailed off as the memories of that night flooded her mind. "Vi?" Caitlyn asked, putting a hand on her shoulder. The touch brought Vi back to the present, and she saw the concerned expressions on Caitlyn and Alexander.

"Are you okay?" Alexander asked. "Yeah, I'm fine." Caitlyn and Alexander didn't believe her, though. Alexander recognized the look on her face as one that he got himself. Caitlyn, even though she's known Vi for a short period of time, knew that Vi was suffering from trauma.

"Caitlyn, what case were you investigating?" Alexander asked, changing the subject.

"I was investigating the attacks on the airships. I suspected that the attacks were connected to shimmer and that the Firelights were targeting those who were smuggling it."

"Well, you're right about that. We stop shimmer from leaving the city."

"I knew it," she muttered. "Apparently, the asshole Marcus declared you guys as terrorists, even though you don't kill," Vi added. "I know, but that doesn't stop us."

"Maybe we can prove your innocence and that Silco is responsible for shimmer," Caitlyn stated. "How?" Alexander asked. "I just need need witnesses, including the people from the Firelights," Caitlyn replied.

"Would that work, though?" Vi asked. "Yes, as long as an Enforcer vouches you guys."

"For what?" They turned at the sound of Ekko's voice and saw him and Jinx. "Caitlyn wants to prove our innocence," Alexander explained. "Why?" Jinx asked. "Because it's the right thing to do. Besides, it'll also prove that Silco is responsible for shimmer," Caitlyn explained.

Ekko and Jinx exchanged glances, surprised that an Enforcer wanted to help. "But in order to do that, I need witnesses," Caitlyn added. "I'll go," Vi volunteered. "Really?" Caitlyn asked. "Yeah."

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm coming, too," Ekko stated. "So am I. What about you, Alexander?" Jinx asked. He thought for a moment and nodded. "Alright, I'll come," he replied. "Then, it's settled. We'll present you guys to the Council," Caitlyn replied.

"We'll leave shortly. For now, let's get ready," Alexander replied. With that the group dispersed, ready for a life changing event.