chapter 1

THE THIEF

Chapter 1

In a slum on the edge of Seoul, the capital of South Korea.

Kim Bora comes home from hard work, only 10 steps left to reach the door of her family's tiny house. She heard loud noises coming from her house, crying, cursing, screaming.

She knew that something bad was about to happen. Bora ran quickly to open the door and entered, her beloved father was crying, kneeling in front of 5 men dressed in black. Bora knows them, it's her family's creditor.

- You promised me 1 more week, exactly 1 week has passed, now you say you need more time? – the head of the group raised his eyebrows and asked the elderly man kneeling in front of him.

- Please forgive me, I promise to pay as soon as possible, now I have run out of money.

- You broke your promise to me too much and I won't let you break your promise again.

- I beg you, forgive me this time.

- Goodbye.

*DANG*

Bora closed her eyes tightly, her heart throbbing painfully. Her mind went blank and she couldn't think of anything else.

From the moment she was born, she had to get used to this life of poverty. Her parents could not afford to give her proper education, she had to work from a very young age. A few years after she was born, her mother died in a road accident, since then she has lived with her father Kim. Bora has an older brother, but he left a long time ago because he couldn't stand the poverty. She lives alone with her difficult father, the two rely on each other, living day by day with meager wages.

There were times when there was no money to eat, her father had to borrow everywhere, and then gradually the debt became a huge amount of money because of the exorbitant interest. Every week she has to face creditors, experience moments of mental repression, fight to protect her own life.

And right now, she knew that everything had reached its limit and could not be saved anymore.

Bora slowly opened her eyes, the motionless corpse of her father came into view, her body trembling with fear. The creditor turned his head to see a young girl standing at the edge of the door.

- Oh, Mr. Kim's beautiful daughter is back - he said sarcastically.

- …………. - Bora did not dare to move, determined in her heart that she could not overcome this adversity anymore.

- Hurry up and clean up, next time I'll come visit you again - said the five of them, leaving without forgetting to nudge the poor girl once.

Bora fell against the doorframe, tears streaming down her thin cheeks. She looked at her father in pain, not daring to approach.