- XLVI -

"Good evening, Misses Hudson

"Good evening, Misses Hudson." Elina greeted as the landlady opened the door of two-two-one B. The aged lady seemed thoroughly surprised to see someone she hadn't seen in a long time. "Oh, Elina. You should of phoned." Martha stated in a mothering tone. "I know but I come with a gift." With that, Elina placed a set of car keys into her hand and closed her fingers around them. "My late birthday present to you is in a lockup just near the river Thames. I hope you enjoy it."

"Oh, I can't drive. That's a young man's game." Mrs Hudson babbled causing Elina to scorn her with an eye. "You were you husband's getaway driver, correct?" She sole as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Yes, but -" Mrs Hudson tried to explain. "Look, you deserve so much more than being a landlady." With that, she stepped through the threshold of the flats and made it to Sherlock's after Mrs Hudson gave her a heartfelt hug and kiss to the cheek.

She climbed the steps and opened the door only to see Sherlock deep in thought or widely known as his Mind Palace. Thinking of nothing better to do, she toddled into the kitchen and pulled two mugs from the top cupboards to make some tea.

The moment Sherlock came back into the room, leaving his mind, Elina stood beside him and offered the left mug. "Oh, hello. How have you been?" He asked whilst taking the mug and offering his seat to her. "I normally offer clients and visitors John's chair but you are an exception." Sherlock spoke passively whilst moving to take his best mates chair. "Thank you. That's... Awfully kind of you."

"Yes, well..." Sherlock subsided whilst taking a drink of his tea. "Can't have you believing that all of the Holmes men are the same, can I now?" He redirected. Elina snorted in a laugh. "Well your father is a sweet man." She stated. "Oh, he can be embarrassing from time to time." His statement earned a death set glare from Elina.

"You have something to tell me." Sherlock stated across to her whilst tilting his head. Elina stupidly thought of her pregnancy but shook her head before bending down to pull files out of her bag and silently pass them over to him. He accepted them dubiously before cursing an eye to Elina's direction and then skimming through the contents.

"Is that sufficient enough to persecute the guilty?" She had asked absentmindedly. She looked a little brought back because she sounded like someone she couldn't remember. "Elina, I praise you for your flawless ability to surprise even after all this time." Sherlock approved before dropping the files to the floor and crossing one leg over the other, placing his eyes on Elina again. "There's something else, isn't there?"

"No, there's not." Elina was quick to deny. Sherlock smiled as Elina drank her tea and looked around the room. "The fact that your knee is bouncing is a old trait that many specify to be in your ADHD but you're nervous about something. Something which seems to of toppled your world. If it was my brother, you'd still be giving people you work with, a hard time such as Lady Smallwood but no this is something else." He rapidly blew out.