- XXIV -

Four weeks before Dr & Mrs Watsons wedding day, a month in precise; Elina popped over to Baker Street in order to help Sherlock interview a few candidates for the day and to tell Archie that being a pageboy was the highest honour of all

Although Elina had never met him, David came round to visit Sherlock and to be interviewed... It was also the same man who Mary had dated and he had broken things off with.

Mrs Hudson walked him through and offered him a brew before Sherlock directed him to sit down just as Elina walked through from the kitchen way after using the bathroom. From her point of view, Sherlock was most certainly getting up close and personal to the man as he sat by the dining table and Sherlock sat across from him.

"Mister Holmes. It's a pleasure to meet you." David had spoke as he stretched his hand across to shake. Sherlock simply looked at his hand before picking his pen up. "So, what exactly are my duties as an usher?" David moved onto ask whilst picking up a book of sudoku from the table and idly playing with it.

Elina stood beside Sherlock and frowned disapprovingly as she crossed her arms. "Let's talk about Mary, first." Sherlock began. "Sorry, what?"

"Oh, I think you know what. You went out with her for two years." Sherlock shared causing Elina to double glance. "Oh, it's you." She pointed out whilst tilting her head. "Sorry, what?" David answered again, this time hesitant. She laughed so graciously before holding a hand to her chest. "Your the little bitch who dropped Mary. Oh, you're exactly the kind of man I had envisioned." She furthered along before moving to pace behind him. "Stupid..." She began. "Dunce..." She moved onto say before crouching close behind his shoulder and whispering. "But most importantly... A fucking pussy." She concluded with a snivel before standing straight hand moving to crash down on Sherlock's chair.

"A-Ages ago. We're j... We're just good friends now." He stuttered to say, a little fearful of Elina. "Is that a fact?" Sherlock stated rhetorically whilst looking down to his notes, having the look of professionalism. "Whenever she tweets, you respond within five minutes regardless of time or current location, suggesting you have her on text alert. In all your Facebook photographs of the happy couple, Mary takes centre frame whereas John is always partly or entirely excluded."

"You can't assume from that I've still got some kind of interest in Mary." David laughed uncomfortably. "You volunteered to be a shoulder to cry on, on no less than three separate occasions." Sherlock said just as Elina turned her gaze to the pair. "Do you have anything to say in your defence? Or were you just one of those blokes who had an epiphany after you dumped her?" She spoke in posh taunting light.  

David opened his mouth but is unable to speak. "I think from now on we'll downgrade you to casual acquaintance. No more than three planned social encounters a year and always in John's presence."