46

Micheal stood hesitantly at the phone in the hall of Ada's house before picking it up, breathing heavily. "My name is Smith," he lied as the person on the other end picked up. "My girlfriend is pregnant, and uh, we'd like you to help us." he said. "We need to fix a date"

Ada sat, signing a piece of paper beside Polly. "Welcome to Shelby Company Limited" Polly smiled. "Shelby Company Limited" Ada repeated. "Limited and unarmed"

The door opened, Micheal returning to them.

"Micheal would you like to welcome Ada, our new Head of Property and Acquisitions." Polly looked up at her son.

"Congratulations" he sighed. "Where do i sign?"

Polly handed the paper over and he cleared his throat. "Ada, have you got, um, whiskey?" he asked. "Yeah, Tommy" she mocked.

He stood straight.

"I've already told him, becoming too like his cousin" Polly whispered. "I thought that was the idea" he chimed in.

"Yeah, Tommy but with a bit more fucking charm and class"

He sipped the whiskey. "Hm, that'll help" Ada said sarcastically. "Yep, where am i sleeping, Ada?"

"Micheal" Polly started.

"The room next to Karl's" Ada sighed. "Micheal" Polly repeated. "Good night" he said, closing the door behind him and ignoring Polly.

"Heartbroken, poor love" Ada said. "Aunt Pol" she said. "Yes, love" Polly looked at the girl. "How was Lilah whilst she was staying here?" She asked.

"Stressed. Missing her father..and her boyfriend."

"Boyfriend?"

"Isiah Jesus, did you not know?" Ada's eyes widened. "You didn't hear it from me, okay" Ada asked.

She let a few moments pass by before speaking once more.

"So, how should we celebrate"

"Well with Micheal in bed i thought i might go for a little drive" Pol told her niece. "A drive? Where are you gonna drive..Polly?"

"Things have begun to develop with the man who is painting my portrait" she admitted. "Polly" Ada leaned forward. "It's when you stand there in the dress, Ada, you just find yourself talking about every little thing"

"And have you.."

"No" Polly shook her head, Ada hummed. "Not yet"

"But he called me two nights ago to say that the portrait was finished. I said that i'd go there in the morning. But he said no, he wanted me there tonight"

She pulled her coat over her shoulders. "Ada you don't breath a fucking word of this to the boys"

"Okay, but is he nice to you?" she laughed. "No, no i mean it Ada. Keep quiet"

"Is he rich?"

"His friends wrote the papers, Ada, Tommy would try and close him down"

"So go"

"He's like a tiny bird pecking at you, and i think he's given up on me." Polly said. Ada sighed, "So bloody go"

Polly nodded and grabbed her bag.

"Why should the boys have all the fun?" She winked, causing Ada to chuckle.

-

"Thank you Mary," Delilah said as the maid took her bag from her hand. "Your father is in his bedroom" the older woman told her.

Lilah cautiously walked the stairs, knocking on the door. She heard a muffled groan and took that as her queue to walk inside.

Tommy looked toward her, half smiling.

"How are you feeling?" Delilah questioned, clasping her hands together. Tommy sniffed. "Better now that i've poured the medicine down the lavatory.."

Delilah bit her tongue. "Can i.." she paused. She took a deep breath, blinking. "Can i give you a hug?"

Tommy tensed his jaw but nodded.

"How was being at Ada's?" he whispered. "It was okay..Karl's a little shit" Lilah joked, earning a small laugh from him.

-

John stared at Delilah's playing cards that she threw down. "I fold," she said. "Delilah," he shouted. "You would've fucking won" he laughed.

Her face dropped. "What?"

"I had nothing, my cards were shit." he tormented, shaking her shoulders. "Go away," she hissed, pushing him back.

Before they could say anything else, John left his seat. "I'm getting a drink" he groaned. She leaned back, groaning as he left the door to the snug open.

Lilah tapped her foot on the floor. She looked up when somebody knocked. "Hello, stranger" Isiah stood with a wide grin on his face.

"Oh my god" she laughed, jumping up and wrapping her arms around the back of his neck. "Almost forgot what you looked like," he teases, leaning down and placing his head on her shoulder.

"I didn't know i'd be in London for so long," she breathed, pulling back. He placed a quick kiss on her lips and she laughed, using her thumb to wipe the lipstick that had transferred to his lips.

"What are you playing," he asked, sitting down. "Poker?" he laughed. "You playing poker?"

"Shut up" she said, folding her arms.

"Who won?"

"I would've won if i didn't fucking fold. I'm telling you, not matter how many times this game gets explained to me, i'll never understand" she complained, pushing her red hair over her shoulder.

He shook his head, laughing. Isiah pulled a cigarette from the pack in his hand, pointing the box toward her. Delilah shook her head. "I don't do it anymore," she said.

"Anymore? I didn't really know you ever did," he scoffed.

"I've only ever done it like...three times?" she questioned herself.