39

Delilah smiled as Grace pinned a piece of her hair back. "You look beautiful," she complimented, holding her shoulders. Delilah smiled at her through the mirror, running a hand over the light blue fabric. "I'll leave you to it," Grace nodded, leaving to finish getting ready.

Delilah sat on her bed, pulling open her beside drawer and grabbing the box inside it. She took a deep breath, opening the box and staring at the diamond necklace that belonged to Francis.

She jumped slightly as Thomas shouted from downstairs.

"Delilah, we're leaving,"

-

John walked through the crowd, Arthur and Finn close behind whilst he downed the last of his drink.

"John" Delilah smiled widely, grabbing onto his arm and walking alongside him. "Get me away from dad," she joked, looking over her shoulder.

"Why, what's he doing?"

"Keeps giving me lectures about stupid things"

Delilah glanced at Isiah who stood across the room with Ada and Johnny Dogs. She loved seeing him in a proper suit and not the peaky blinders attire. He looked extremely handsome.

"Hello, Grace" Delilah gleamed, walking away from her uncles. Her eyes widened at the large Sapphire sat on Grace's chest. "Did dad get you that" she asked. Grace looked down and chuckled. "He did"

"It's beautiful" Delilah whispered. Before they could say anymore, a dark haired woman stood beside them. Grace looked at her and gave her a warm smile. "I'm Duchess Tatiana Petrovna" she smiled, holding a hand out. "i don't believe we've met?"

"Delilah Shelby" she greeted, shaking her hand. "Thomas' daughter?" Tatiana asked. Delilah nodded, sipping from her glass.

The Duchess turned her head to Grace. "And you, Mrs Shelby" she smiled.

Both Grace and Tatiana stood speaking for a while before Grace saw Tommy. "Tommy" she stopped him. "This is Duchess Tatiana Petrovna" she introduced. He cleared his throat, looking at the woman he had already met.

"Come on Tommy aren't you impressed to meet a real duchess?" Grace asked. "Well i understand they charge a fee" he said coldly.

Delilah's eyes widened and she walked away, making a b-line for Isiah.

"Mr Shelby you are very direct" she scoffed. "Too direct" Grace added. "But it's true" Tatiana said, "i attend these things for the champagne, and for the chance to be treated like a duchess again"

"You should have kissed my hand, Mr Shelby"

"Forgive me" He said after seconds of thinking. He kissed her hand and stood straight. "She was asking about my sapphire" Grace said. "I thought i recognised it" Tatiana nodded.

"She said it was Russian. My husband has business in Russia, perhaps you know about it, Tatiana?"

"Well tonight is not a night for business, eh?"

"Is that why you were in the concert hall for ten minutes?" Grace asked him. "I think people are ready for dinner now Grace" he urged. "No no i'm not done pumping my people for money" she joked.

"What is pump for money" Tatiana questioned. "It's what i do everyday" Thomas told her.

"You know each other, do you?" Grace looked between the two. "You see i am in charge of compiling the list of guests, but it's my husband who knows them all"

"I hear he's very well connected" Tatiana nodded.

"And where does a duchess hear that?" Grace looked at Tommy. "In certain circles" Tatiana nodded. "All right, enough. Ada" he called to his sister.

"Grace, there's a Lady Dowager who wants to speak to you about coffee mornings. She mentioned a two thousand pound cash donation"

"Tatiana you and i will speak later" she dismissed herself.

"Going to the factory tomorrow is a mistake" Tommy said to the brunette woman. "Nevertheless we will go, Mr Shelby"

"Also my uncle ordered me to seduce you to give us an advantage but with w beautiful wife like that it will be difficult, no?"

"Tomorrow is a mistake" he repeated. "Have you not heard, we have no morals, we Russians."

"And no fucking sense" he insulted.

"And no options" she added, "I would fuck you for the cause. What do you think of that" she said.

"I think you should not drink vodka with champagne" he began walking away.

"Does your wife know that the sapphire she is wearing has been cursed by a Gypsy?" Tatiana laughed. "What did you say?" Tommy asked, staring at her coldly.

"Nothing on earth, would make me wear it"

She walked away and Tommy thought for a moment, rushing to Grace. "Grace, listen to me. Look, i can explain" he started. "Go away" she cut him off.

"For once you should have to explain, Tommy"

A man spoke over the microphone but they took no notice. "You look beautiful but you need to take this off" He said, referring to the necklace.

"Why? Because you think it would look better on her?"

He grabbed her shoulders. "Grace. Look at me, fuck these people, eh? Fuck em, i need you to be all right. I need you Grace, i need you" he whispered. She placed a hand on his chest.

"Damn you Tommy Shelby" she laughed, kissing him.

"Shall we go inside?" she laughed. He nodded and placed a hand on her back.

Delilah stood with Ada and Isiah, turning to begin walking to the hall. A man pushed past Polly, heading for Tommy. "For Angel," he shouted.

Isiah quickly pulled Lilah to the side, away as the man pointed a gun. Arthur's eyes widened and he charged at the man.

Tommy saw the man and grabbed Grace, in attempt to pull her back.  But he was too late. The shot had fired straight into her chest. People screamed and Tommy held Grace as she fell to the floor.

Delilah's face dropped, her heart pounding as she rushed to her fathers side. He held Grace close. "Get me a fucking ambulance" he screamed.

Arthur's fist collided with the man's face continuously, Finn and John kicking his side.

Tommy placed a kiss on Grace's forehead.

Delilah pushed Grace's hair back, placing a hand on her shoulder, images flashing in front of her eyes as she went light head. Anger filled her and she ran over to when Arthur and John were, kicking the man who fired the gun.

"Move," she hissed, moving Finn out the way. She kneeled down, pushing her hands over the man's neck, watching as his face grew red. Delilah grabbed a shard of glass from the vase that Arthur had smashed, pressing it into his neck, watched the life drain from his eyes.

John grabbed her. "Stop, that's enough" Arthur shouted. She pressed harder, her hands stained with blood.

John dragged her backwards and she kept her eyes on the man's lifeless body.