2

The years that passed were no doubt hard for the two Shelby girls but they got through it.

"If you're going out today, i want you home by dark" Francis told her daughter, pulling her coat over her own shoulders. "Where you going?" Delilah asked, looking up from her book.

"I'm going to help out at the bakery". Francis said, looking at the mirror.

Delilah nodded, returning her book. "Right, i'm off. I love you" Francis placed a kiss on the top of Delilah's head before leaving the house.

"Finn" Delilah shouted, the loud footsteps of the boy following after. "Yeah?" he asked.

"Will you come the sweet shop with me?" She asked, closing the book. He thought for a moment. "I'll get you some pear drops if you do" She pleased.

A wide grin appeared on his face and he nodded.

Delilah pulled her shoes on and fixed her hair. "Are we going because you actually want sweets or cause you want to see Reggie?" he asked, holding her hand as they walked.

"Shut up Finn" she hissed.

Delilah smiled at the older woman who stood outside her house, hanging up the washing. "Good morning, Mrs Fletcher" she waved. "Morning, love, you okay?" The woman asked.

"We are thank you" Lilah smiled, walking up toward the shop.

The pair walked inside, a bell ringing as they did. "Delilah, Finn, what can i get for you?" Reggie Smith asked.

"Some sherbet lemons please, Reg" she asked politely. "And pear drops". Finn said quickly. "Yes, and pear drops" Lilah sighed, crossing her arms.

The Smith boy nodded, turning away from the red haired girl and filling up the two bags with sweets.

An older man walked through the door behind Reggie, Mr Smith.

"Good morning you two" he greeted. "Hi Mr Smith" Finn beamed. He nodded at the younger boy. "How's your mother, Delilah?" he asked.

"She's good, working" Delilah nodded, taking the bag of sweets from Reggie and sliding him two coins.

"Thank you" she said, turning away. "Have a nice day" she shouted before the door closed behind them. "You so fancy Reg" Finn teased. Delilah scowled at him. "You do!" he pointed, laughing.

"Finn be quiet or i'll give your sweets to Ada" she threatened. He shut his mouth, pulling his cap over his face.

The two joked with each other as they walked back to Watery Lane.

Finn pushed the door open, kicking his shoes to the floor and running upstairs. "Where the bloody bell did you two run off to?" Polly asked. "The Smith's sweet shop" Delilah's said, holding up the bag.

Polly nodded along, stirring her cup of tea.

"Your mother will kill you if she catches you with them sweets" Pol joked. Lilah smiled, searching the table.

"Av you seen my book?" she asked. Pol looked up, thinking.

"I've cleaned the house today, check your room i might have put it there" she told the girl.

-

"Hi mum," Delilah sighed, walking through the kitchen as Francis sat by the fire. "How was your day?"

"It was okay" Francis sighed, "i brought home some pastry's from the shop, help yourself" She said, looking over at Delilah.

"Heard you went to see Reginald Smith" Francis grinned in a teasing manner. Delilah bit her lip, crossing her arms. "What's your point"

"Well, i heard from a little bird that you fancy him, is that right?" Her mother raised her eyebrows. Delilah let out a breath. "Finn!" she screamed, storming up the stairs.

"What are you doing telling me mum about Reggie" she pushed the door open.

The eleven year old boy smiled widely. "Don't fucking smile at me" she hissed, grabbing a pillow and hitting it with him. He shouted. "Aunt Pol, aunt pol" he shouted, shielding his head.

"You two pack it in, i don't care who started it, Ada is trying to sleep, she's not well" Polly scolded.

Delilah drops the pillow and scowled as Finn stuck his tongue out at her.

-

"Lilah" Ada shook the girl awake. "My god Ada, what is it?" she groaned, rolling over and rubbing her eyes. "We got a letter from Arthur" she said. "They're coming home, the boys are coming home"

Delilah shot up, taking the piece of paper from her hand and skimming over the words.

"Oh my god" Lilah whispered. She smiled widely, looking back at Ada. "They're coming home" she said.

Ada nodded at her, taking the letter back.

Delilah grabbed Ada, hugging her tightly, her stomach filling with excitement. She was going to see her father for the first time in 5 years.

Ada soon left the girl to finish helping Polly around the house.

Despite the excitement that filled Delilah, there was a slight feeling of worry. She was scared incase her Dad wasn't the same anymore. But she understood that war changed people.

She bit her lip, thinking as she strolled down Garrison lane. "Ay, Shelby" someone shouted. She looked over her shoulder, relaxing when she saw Reggie Smith and his friends.

"Hi, Reg" she smiled, shielding her eyes from the sun. "What's got you out today?" he asked, secretly admiring the dress she was wearing.

"Haven't you heard?" she asked. "The wars over, Reg, the boys are coming home"

Delilah walked toward the boys.

"What?! Since when?" The blonde boy to his left asked. "Got a letter in the post off Arthur this morning, they're coming home later this week" she told them.

"That's amazing, Lilah" Reggie nodded, placing his hands in his pockets. "You off anywhere special then?" he asked.

"Going to find my mum, let her know about the letter"

"Swear i saw her down by the flower shop" Luke spoke. "Right, thank you" Delilah nodded, rushing off. She kept her eye out for the red haired woman as she walked down the road.

"Mum" Delilah sighed, finally finding her. "Hello, Lilah, what are you doing here?" she questioned, holding a basket of food. She shoved the letter into Francis hand.

"Oh my god" she whispered as she read it.