3

"So where has ye dad been fighting? Luke asked. The girl crossed her legs over, leaning against the tree. "France, i think"

"That's where our Ron was as well, i think" Reg spoke, biting into a piece of bread.

Delilah looked up at the sky.

They sat and talked for hours, laughing with each other until it was starting to get dark. "I'll walk you home" Reggie said, standing up and offering her his hand. "No it's okay," she shook her head.

"What kind of lad would I be if i didn't walk Delilah Shelby home when it was dark, eh?" he laughed.

She smiled and took his hand, pulling herself up.

"Goodbye Delilah," the other boys dismissed as Reggie and Delilah walked down the hill.

They arrived outside her house on Watery Lane quicker than they anticipated. "Goodnight, Lilah" he smiled innocently. She looked up at him. "Goodnight, Reggie. Thank you for walking me home" she said quietly.

"Anytime" he nodded, waiting till she was safely inside before he left.

"Who was that?" Ada asked, moving away from the window. "Ada," she smiled sarcastically. "Hello to you too" Delilah huffed.

"Who was that boy, Lilah" she teased, placing her hands under her chin.

"Reggie Smith" Lilah sighed. Ada's eyes widened. "Reginald Smith?" she asked in a high pitched voice. "Keep your voice down" Delilah hissed.

Ada covered her mouth. "Sorry," she whispered. "What the bloody hell is Reginald Smith doing walking you home" she asked.

"Ada, no one calls him Reginald anymore. It's Reggie" the young girl corrected.

"And i was out with him and his friends today, he offered to walk me home"

Ads nodded, suspicious. "So, what are you and this Reggie?"

Lilah rolled her eyes. "Friends" she said bluntly, placing her boots beside the door. "Friends?" Ada hummed. "Yes, Ada. Friends. Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to bed"

Delilah dragged herself up the stairs, avoiding anymore questions that could come from Ada's mouth.

She was back to thinking about the return of her uncles and father. Delilah lay on her back, staring at the cracks in the ceiling. She wasn't sure if she was prepared to see how different they'd be. The thought scared her slightly.

The fright that was masked over her was exchanged with excitement when she realised she would see John again.

John was her favourite uncle, although she knows she shouldn't have favourites, it was hard not too.

Lilah glanced at the gap in the curtain, watching at birds flew past, blocking the light coming from the moon. "Just a few more days, Lilah, then you'll be a family again" she whispered to herself.

"You okay?" Francis asked, leaning on the door frame with a cup of tea in her hand. Lilah hummed, pulling the white sheets up to her chest.

"Well, get some sleep, we'll be up early tomorrow" Francis touched Delilah's hair. "Night mum," she whispers, laying down.

"Goodnight."

-

"Delilah Jane Shelby get your arse out of bed" Polly shouted from the bottom of the stairs, causing the girl to jump up and rush around her bedroom. Francis laughed at the older woman who rushed around the house, cleaning.

"Pol, i'm sure they won't care if you miss a spot" she spoke.

Delilah wanted to visit the sweet shop before they went to the train station. Partially because she wanted to see Reggie and partially because she wanted to buy the boys some sweets, a welcome home present?