1

April 12th 1905

Polly rubbed the red haired girls back, holding a cold towel to her head. "Come on, Francis, nearly there" she whispered. "Where's Tommy?" Francis asked. "He's on his way" Polly reassured the seventeen year old. The door suddenly swung open, Tommy rushed inside. "Did i miss it?" he asked. Polly shook her head. "Francis" he whispered, kneeling beside her and taking her hand in his. "It hurts" she bit her lip. "I know, love" Polly tilted her head, standing up. Tommy placed his lips on Francis' hand, kissing them. "Your doing great, Franny" he said. Polly returned with a towel. "We need you too push" she urged Francis. The girl nodded and pushed hard, letting out a scream. "One more,"

Francis pushed again and heard the cries of her baby. She let out a sigh of relief as Tommy pushed her hair from her forehead. "You did it" he whispered. Polly wrapped the small child in the towel and carefully handed it to Francis. "It's a girl" Polly told her.

Francis looked up at Tommy in pure delight. Tommy smiled softly, looking at the baby. "She's beautiful" Francis whispered.

Hours had passed since Francis had given birth the the Shelby child and John and Arthur had came to see them. "Let have a look" Arthur said loudly, Tommy glaring at him. "Sorry" he whispered. He leaned over the two, looking down at the baby.

The fourteen year old, John, watched in awe. "What are ye naming her?" he asked. Tommy looked down at Francis and she nodded.

"Delilah Jane Shelby" he said proudly.

"Can i see the baby" Eight year old Ada rushed in, pulling at Tommy's sleeve. "Go on then" Tommy nodded. Francis carefully leaned down to give Ada a better view. "She looks like you" she pointed at Francis.

Francis sent the young girl a warm smile.

Francis Shay and Tommy Shelby had been together ever since they were fifteen and sixteen. Francis was now seventeen, Tommy eighteen. It was clear they were in love with each other. The Shelby family adored Francis, despite the past they had with her father, who was also involved with gang business. They treated the girl as if she was apart of the family. Nobody had ever seen Tommy so happy with anyone else.

Arthur Shelby waltzed in, the boys and Ada's father. "Congratulations, son" he placed a hand on Tommy's shoulder. Tommy bit his tongue, ignoring the older man.

2 years later
1907

Tommy looked down, smiling at his daughter as she blew out the number two candles. "Happy birthday Delilah" he whispered.

Francis, looked up at him smiling.

Francis was truly beautiful, she had light blonde hair that was a touch ginger. She was polite, a well raised girl. Who just so happened to fall in with the Shelby's.

"Look, Lilah, it's your uncle John" Francis whispered, pointing over to the young boy.

He held his arms out to the girl and picked her up, smiling at her. "Hello, Lilah" he whispered. "Happy birthday"

Polly watched the two with a warm expression as Tommy leaned down, wrapping his arms around Francis.

Their little girl was beautiful, blessed with Francis' looks.

"You're getting big, aren't you" Arthur laughed, tapping the girls head softly.

John spun her round slowly, lifting her in the air. Laughs fell from Delilah's mouth as she waved her arms around. "John put the girl down for christ sake" Polly scolded, placing down a plate of food in front of Ada.

"She's fine, aren't you Lilah?" he said to the small girl.

Francis looked over at John, feeling warm at the sight of them. "It feels like yesterday that we had her" Tommy said. Francis nodded. "She's growing up"

John placed Delilah on the floor who just about made it over to her parents. "Hello, you" Francis said quietly, lifting her up.

7 years later
1914

"Come on now" Francis urged, wiping the tears from underneath the nine year olds eyes. "Don't want your dad seeing you upset before he leaves, do we" she sniffed, holding back her own tears.

Delilah nodded, pulling at the hem of her dress. "We best get going" Francis stood, holding Lilah's hand.

The week before, they had found out that Tommy, Arthur and John were being sent away to fight in France for the war. It killed Tommy that he had to leave his wife and daughter alone. It killed Francis that she'd have to live with the constant fear of him not returning.

John stood in the kitchen, hugging Ada. His eyes shifted to the younger girl who stood, upset. He sighed, holding his arms out, kneeling down. "Come on, Delilah girl" he whispered. "You'll be fine, with your mum and Aunt Pol" he assured, rubbing her back.

"Right, come on we need to leave" Polly interrupted.

Francis took the girls hand again, walking her outside the house where Arthur and Tommy stood.

Tommy looked at the two, guilt and regret plastered all over his face as they walked down to the station. Delilah remained silent.

They stood patiently in the station as the train pulled in. A lump gathered in Delilah's throat.

Tommy wrapped his arms around Francis who held him tightly. "I'll come home, Franny. I promise" he whispered, kissing her. He looked at Delilah and picked her up.

"Your getting heavy" he joked, hoping to make her laugh but failed.

He let out a breath, watching as tears fell from her eyes. "Look at me, my girl" he said. Delilah looked at him. "You be good for you mum, yeah? I promise you that i'll be back" he said, tucking her hair behind her ears. "Why do you even have to go" she asked, holding a fistful of his clothes. He swallowed hard. "I don't have a choice" he said.

"I hate to do this, brother but we need to go" Arthur said, having already said goodbye to everyone.

"I love you" Tommy whispered to her. "Don't forget that" he placed her on the floor, hugging Francis one last time and walking to the train, refusing to look back at them.

"You'll be okay" Polly hugged the two girls whilst Ada held Finn close to her.

"They're Shelby men" Polly nodded, "They'll come back"