29

A man approached them, looking Delilah up and down. He whistled, grabbing the boys attention. "I don't drink with blacks"

"Be fucking for real," Delilah scoffed. "It's 1921 get over yourself"

"Here we fucking go" Isiah sighed.

"Paddy they're okay" The barman intervened. "Not with me they're not" the boy was from Liverpool, thick accent.

"You don't need to cause a problem," She spoke. He looked at her, giving her a once over. Isiah bit his tongue, stepping slightly in front of her.

"I don't drink in pubs with blacks" he said again. "So leave" Micheal shrugged.

"Look, my dad is the preacher round here, he has connections, ask anyone" Isiah told him. "I couldn't give a fuck who he is"

"She has bigger fucking connections," Isiah pointed a finger at Delilah.

"I'm telling you to leave it Paddy"

"And i'm telling this darkie to get out of here" Paddy spat.

"Just walk away" She argued. "He hasn't done anything"

"Who the fuck are you" he laughed.

"You know something, fuck off" Isiah defended. "It's all right Isiah leave it, we'll go to my cousins pub" Micheal said. "I like it here"

The argument had caught the attention of Luke who'd edged round to them.

"You fucking-" Paddy sent his fist forward, punching Isiah. She took a step back, watching as a fight broke out.

Luke ran forward, pulling away another man who tried to go for Isiah. A man went for Micheal, punching him.

"Fucking get off them" she shouted, attempting to walk forward, only to be pulled back and have her face pushed against the wall. She screamed. "Get your hands off her" Isiah shouted.

She huffed, moving, trying to get him off.

"I fucking said get off" he hissed, pulling the man off her. Paddy grabbed Micheal, wrapping his hands around his neck.

"Paddy, the white ones a peaky blinder, she's Tommy Shelby's daughter. The lad is Polly Shelby's kid" he shouted.

Paddy stepped away, holding his hand up. "They're Shelby kids" he repeated. "Are you fucking suicidal?"

"Sir? Sir i'm sorry i didn't know"

"Apologise to her" Luke shouted, wiping the blood from his nose. "I'm sorry, i really didn't know"

"Get out the fucking pub" Isiah said.

The men scurried away. "We ordered some drinks and we're going to drink them" Micheal spoke.

Delilah sighed, grabbing the neck of the whiskey bottle and tilting it toward her lips, wincing as the liquid burnt her throat.

"Slow down" Isiah said, grabbing it and pouring three glasses.

She touched her lip again, blood touching her finger. "Fuck" she whispered.

-

"His face man, did you see his fucking face" Micheal laughed as they walked down Garrison lane in the dark.

"You punch like a fucking kangaroo" he told Micheal.

Isiah and Delilah had their arms linked like they did hours earlier.

"Right anyway i need a fucking drink" Micheal said as they approached the Garrison.

"It's packed in here isn't it" he sighed. Isiah stayed behind Delilah as she walked in, his hand on her back. "You having one?" Micheal asked her. She nodded, rubbing her head. "Again, don't tell your dad" he whispered.

They got their drinks and walked into the snug where Finn, Arthur and John sat.

"Here they are, look" Arthur said. "Junior peaky boys and Delilah"

The boys sat down and Delilah sat beside John who wrapped an arm over her shoulders, shaking her slightly.

"What's happened have you been scrapping?" he looked at the boys.

"Some idiots at the Marquis or Lorne, tried to stop us from drinking but it's all right. We fought them off. We had to stand out ground and we did"

"The Marquis, eh?" Arthur asked, standing up. John and Finn stood but they pushed Finn back to his seat. " Where's your dad?"

"Preaching"

"Right" he sighed, picking up his cap and walking to the door. "Don't nick and of me chips Finn" John shouted.

"Where are you going?"

"We won't be long"

"Where are they going?" Micheal asked Isiah. "The Marquis of Lorne, shame it was a nice pub"

-

The boys and Lilah walked back outside the pub an hour later, seeing the boys walking back up. "Looks like the big bastard got cut" Isiah said, smiling.

"You didn't have to do that for us" Micheal shouted. "We didn't do it for you Micheal. We did it for the good name of the company"

"None do this happened all right" John shouted as they walked away.