22. Never Letting Go

And she did what Steve had suspected her doing. Disappear. Yes, she just disappeared on a mission without telling him anything. He didn't know how did she discover everything related to her past. And he also knew it would be too much to handle. And she needs time.

Few weeks later, Natasha came back. And the first thing she noticed was a truck was being loaded by some workers, Steve, Sam and Bucky were there. Her heart sped up in shock. Was he moving out? Was he leaving because she didn't give a response to his confession? Did he already give up? But she went up to her apartment without questioning anything.

That night she saw him at the gym. She walked up to him when he was drying his face sitting on the bench as always.

He smiled at her," Nat, when did you come back?"

She shrugged off," Just...a few hours earlier. "

He patted on the bench to his side, telling her to take a seat. She did so. " How was your mission?"

She nodded," Good. " He nodded at her and both went silent. " I saw the truck and luggages outside this afternoon. "

" Oh. Bucky is moving out. He's been living most of his life alone. So living with everyone here, it's a little overwhelming for him. He's getting along with us very well, but it's weird too. "

She nodded in understanding. Got a relief that Steve's not leaving.

" I'm moving out too. "

Her eyes snapped at him. Did she hear him right?

He nodded not meeting her eyes," Already shifted some things, few are left, it'll be done very soon. "

"Why?" She choked out.

He looked at her and shook his head with a smile," I haven't given up yet. I'm just trying to give you some space. Because, if I live here around you all day, I'll search for every opportunity and excuses to see you, or to touch you. And eventually you'll feel burdened. You'd think my feelings as burdens. You'd either surrender to it, or try to get rid of it. And I don't want you to do any of that. "

She blinked to stop her tears as she looked away from his smiling face.

" So....here is my condition. " She looked at him. " I'll confess my feelings - three times. And let's see if you can reject me or avoid me. "

" If...if I reject you every time, then what?"

He chuckled on it," You wouldn't. I've already told you, I know you, more than anyone, more than yourself. Even if you do reject me, I'll confess another three times. "

She swallowed a lump," If I reject you again?"

He smiled softly," I'd try three times, again. But wouldn't give up on you. " Then his smile faded. " But...when seeing you from distance, I'd walk away changing my direction instead of coming to you, understand that I give up at that moment. "

His last sentence did something to her. One day he'd walk away instead of coming to her. It's definitely possible if she kept her feelings hidden to the point where it would hurt him so much that he couldn't control himself, he'd realise she'd never felt anything for him and he'd give up at that moment. And she didn't want that. But couldn't admit it to him either.

He smiled again and stood up," Don't let it keep you sleepless all night. Good night. " Then he walked away, letting her decide what she wants.

After two days Steve was ready to move out. He said goodbye to everyone. But Natasha was missing. He looked at Clint. He shrugged off," I don't know. Haven't seen her since morning. "