14. Before The Storm

Start from the beginning

"No, but....okay, you could be busy now!"

"Fine. Would you be happy if I said no?"

"Yes!"

"Then yes, I'm busy."

     "Now that's just mean."

     I smirked as I leaned against the side of the doorframe, sticking my hands into the pockets of my pajama pants. "Name one time I have been mean to you ever," I said.

     "I'm going to start making a list, starting with the eggs."

     I laughed at his words, reminded again of that night so long ago.

     A small laugh drifted to my ears from inside my apartment, the sound extremely familiar to me. I left the computer on. I completely forgot.

     "Is Chan here?" Felix said, moving to look past me.

     I shook my head, stepping aside to let him in and show him my empty living room. He closed the door behind him before following me to the pseudo-nest I had left on the couch. His eyes caught on the laptop next to the pile of blankets.

     "He went live?" Felix said in disbelief. "I can't say I'm surprised, knowing him, but still. On the ride back from the meet he was complaining about how sore his shoulder was."

     I snorted. "I can relate, though I think mine is from sleep."

     "So you've just been watching him?" Felix looked in my direction and I shrugged with a frown on my lips.

     "I can tell he's exhausted," I said. "I'm worried."

     "Call him."

     I snapped my head at Felix's suggestion. Call him? Call him?! Absolutely not! I might have been able to do that a few days ago, but to be honest now I was scared. Scared to lose my temper, scared to snap at him when really the only thing he did wrong was lie to our group. I can't blame him for falling in love with someone else. It's not like he was with me.

     "I can't do that!" I said, shaking my head frantically. "I can't tell him what to do!"

     "Like that's stopped you before," Felix teased, poking my shoulder. "Just call him."

     "But—"

     I didn't even get to finish my protest before Felix was placing an already ringing phone in my hand. I watched Chan's body shift as he looked down through the screen of my laptop, and I shot Felix a glare.

     With the live still going, I fully expected Chan to silence the phone in his pocket. Well, maybe not expected but foolishly hoped.

I was wrong.

Chan pulled out his phone and answered it.

"Hello?" His voice rang in both my ear and quietly through my laptop's speakers, and I suddenly felt nervous to speak. My mouth was dry and my throat was starting to itch as I stared at my soulmate on the screen. Why was I feeling like this? All he said was hello!

I took a deep breath. "Hi Chan."

I didn't miss the way his face broke into a grin at my voice, his dimples forming at the edges of his mouth. It wasn't the same look he gave Ivy, but it still managed to make me smile.

"Wonnie, why do you have Felix's phone?"

I shrugged, though I know he couldn't see it. "Felix is a bully."

"You're the one who was mean to me!" Felix protested.

"To be fair, you make it so easy."

Chan's body shook with laughter on the screen, one hand moving to cover his face. I let out a small laugh as I watched him.