14. Before The Storm

Chan's hair was messy as he looked forward with tired eyes, dark circles reflecting the exhaustion he currently has in his body. His t-shirt crinkled against his chest as he leaned forward, the symbol of the college's swim team getting lost in the folds. He hummed slightly under his breath, and I found the sound soothing as I burrowed further in my blanket from my place on the couch. I hadn't been able to sleep again last night. I'm sure the bags under my eyes were twice as bad as his, though it's not like he realized.

     After all, he wasn't with me.

     Chan stared into the camera as he smiled, trying to hide his tiredness as he answered a question from the chat. He really should be sleeping, not staying on a live for hours in an effort not to disappoint people. I reached for my phone, itching to text him to go to sleep before I paused. We still haven't really communicated since....

     I snuggled into the fabric of the blanket around me. Chan was an adult. He could obviously make his own decisions. Who am I to interfere?

     But still, I wish he was here with me.

     If only I could break the wall of glass that now stood between us, reaching forward to grab his hand and pull him with me. It was so fragile and easy to break, but the more I stared at the screen of my laptop, the more scared I was of the cuts I'd get from the one, seemingly easy, action.

     His voice was like a lullaby as he began to sing under his breath a song in English, to fill the silence I guess. He and Felix had another swim meet today. Though the event location was closer than the last one, I didn't make it. Minho decided to open the cafe again, asking me to help him out. Funny thing was, as soon as I got there Minho sent me home. It was only then that I realized he specifically got me out of attending so I could rest.

     A cough racked my chest, causing me to squeeze my eyes tight. I opened them back and slowly caught the petals as they floated through the air. Carefully, I laid them on a napkin beside my laptop, careful to avoid the device's screen like Chan could see through it. I'd throw them away later.

     A sudden knock on my door interrupted my thoughts.

     I slowly untangled myself from my blanket and stood, glancing at the laptop screen. Then just as quickly, I walked towards the door and opened it.

     Felix grinned, one hand on the top of the doorframe. "So you come here often?"

     "This is literally my house."

     The blond rolled his eyes playfully. "Are you busy?"

     "It is almost midnight on a Saturday," I said.

     "That is not an answer," Felix pointed out. I shrugged. "That is still not an answer."

     I struggled not to snort. "I thought it was pretty self explanatory."

     "I asked a question and you stated a fact."

     "At least the fact was true."

     "That's just another name for fact!"

     I was grinning now, messing with Felix never fails to put me in a better mood. It reminded me of a little over a month ago when Felix picked me up from the soulmate doctors and I convinced him I was getting my mark, back when everything was so simple. Before my life suddenly had a time limit.

     I felt the sadness hit me like a truck and I struggled with my grin.

     "So are you busy?"

     "I already answered that."

     "No, you did not!"

"Felix, am I normally busy at midnight on a Saturday?"