2. Dear Cupid, Next Time Hit Us Both

I'm not stupid, and I am not like those female protagonists in movies that run away at the first misinterpreted thing they hear.

No, I stayed there. And listened. And waited. Only to learn absolutely nothing other than the fact that my soulmate doesn't want a soulmate and that Changbin, Chan's roommate, could not wait to find his.

Part of me wished Chan was like that.

     I stabbed my chopsticks into the cup of ramen. "'I don't want a soulmate'," I mocked to the night air, aggressively stirring the noodles around. "Well guess what? You're stuck with me now!"

     Taking a bite of my ramen, I dropped the container on the table beside me, drawing my knees to my chest and leaning back against the cold, hard plastic of the chair. I shivered when a hard gust of wind passed, whipping my hair around under my raised hood and causing goosebumps to appear on my legs. I was dumb for running out of my apartment in only my pajamas. I should have just waited. This was exactly what I was scared would happen.

     Now I was screwed.

     I know what happens now. It's every horror story parents tell their children when they talk about soulmates. My skin will touch Chan's and the connection will start, only to be immediately cut off. The sickness will start, and I'll get sicker and sicker and then I'll—

     My phone ringing through the silent streets broke me from my thoughts. I sniffled, taking the phone out of my pocket.

     It was Felix.

     My finger paused over the answer button.

     I can't tell him.

     I felt pressure build behind my eyes, watching the phone ring and ring until it went to voicemail, unable to make myself press the button. I should have waited to talk to Felix first. I never should have run to their stupid grey apartment.

     I should have kept my promise.

     The phone vibrated as it rang again. I knew Felix would freak out if I didn't answer soon. I could see him showing up at my apartment, only to find me gone and getting upset. He'd probably tell Chan, and I couldn't risk either them finding me like this and asking me questions I didn't want to answer. Especially Chan. I can't lie to their faces, but I can lie to his voice.

     "Hey did something happen?" Felix's worried voice came through the speaker.

     I closed my eyes for a second, saying a million apologies in my head before opening them back up. I smiled at the empty street, tears forming in my eyes. I forced myself to be happy, even as the green, neon light above me flickered and cast dark shadows on the concrete. Even as the wind gusted and threatened to turn me blue, and a sob threatened to tear itself out of my throat.

     "Yea everything's fine, what's up?"

     "Oh. I thought something was wrong, you called me twice....Wait!" Felix's voice suddenly became excited. "Did something happen with your soulmate?!"

     I bit my tongue harshly before forcing the smile back on my face. "Oh that! My arm started burning a little bit so I was going to ask for like some ice or meds but it stopped a little while ago."

     "Do you need me to still come over? I can bring brownies—"

     "No!" My voice came out as a yell and I quickly corrected myself. "No, I just got out the shower and I'm about to go to sleep so there's no use. Besides, you'll see me tomorrow."

     "You're right, I'll just bring the brownies over later!"

     I felt a sudden pang in my stomach. I felt bad lying to him. I wanted to tell him, I wanted to spill everything, but I swallowed it all.