The Devil You Know

Start from the beginning

"Melissa's the one who found him," Spencer corrected him.

"I'm sorry. Then again, it could've been worse," he added.

"What do you mean?" Aria said slowly.

"Bodies decay. He'd been dead at least a week," Garrett nodded. He glanced at Spencer. "Give my best to your family." And he was gone.

"A week?!" Isabel whisper-yelled.

"No, that's impossible. He was texting Melissa," Hanna agreed.

"No, he wasn't," Emily hissed. "I'm betting it was 'A'."

"Why would 'A' pretend to be Ian and then lead us there to his body?" Aria frowned.

"Does it matter?" Spencer scoffed. "The guy was scum, and now he's dead scum. Who cares if 'A' found him first?"

"What does 'A' want?" Emily gulped.

"You know what I want?" Hanna snapped, getting up. "I want to enjoy my life again... before 'A' finds another way to ruin it." She left.

"What she said," Isabel nodded before leaving too.

-

That night, Isabel was studying when she remembered that she never gave Mike his keys back. So, she got into her new car (new off some sketchy site) and drove to Aria's house.

"Hey," she said when Aria answered the door. "Are your parents home?"

"No," Aria frowned. "Why? What's this about?"

"Your mother asked me to drop off Mike's keys, and I couldn't find him yesterday," Isabel explained.

"Wait, he wasn't at the courts?" Aria asked incredulously. Isabel nervously wrung her hands and nodded.

"No. And he hasn't been for months. Lewis, a guy we used to play with, barely remembers Mike's name," Isabel replied. "Look, I know that where he's been is none of my business, since we're not dating anymore, but... is he in his room?"

"I don't know," Aria shrugged, but she looked worried. "Lemme go check."

As she made her way up the stairs, there was a knock on the door. Probably Aria's parents.

"Can you please get that?" Aria called from halfway up the stairs.

"What if it's your parents?" Isabel asked.

"Just tell 'em you're here for Mike," Aria shouted. Isabel nodded, and opened the door, but it wasn't Aria's parents.

"Jason? Mike, hey wait-" Isabel scoffed as Mike barreled past her. Jason just stood there patiently.

"Mike!" Aria yelled, stopping him. "Hey, don't you run away from me!" She dragged him by the arm into her room.

"Wait, what am I-" Isabel shouted, but Aria was gone. She turned to Jason. "What-what's this about?"

"Mike tried to break into my house," Jason explained. "Never actually got in. Caught him at the window."

"What?" she frowned. Mike broke into a house?