THE TENSION GROWS

ALEXANDER'S POV

I wake up to the morning light streaming through my bedroom window. As I lay there, I couldn't stop thinking about Scarlett. I didn't expect her to go to dinner with me, and I was shocked when she agreed.

I couldn't take my eyes off her for a minute, she was so beautiful and tempting in that her dress and it took all the self-control in me not to take her against the table, in front of my family, I would love to do a lot of things to her, fuck! I haven't even been with another woman since I met her. She's just been messing with my head.

I wonder if she's thinking about me too. I'm torn between wanting to reach out to her and wanting to wait and see what happens. Do I text her? Do I call her? Or do I just wait and see what happens next? I can't decide what to do.

I know I've developed feelings for her, but it's so deep that I don't know what to do about it and she's not giving me a chance either.

It's a startling realization, but I know deep down that it's true. I've never felt this way about anyone, and it's both exciting and terrifying. I want to be with her, but I'm scared that she'll let me into her life. I also know that if I don't take a chance, I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

I decide to take the first step and make my way to my mother's grave. It feels like the right thing to do, like a symbolic gesture to show myself that I'm ready to face my fears. It's my mom's death anniversary today, as I drive to the cemetery, I think about all the times I've avoided my mother's grave and the pain that's kept me away. But now, I feel like I'm ready to confront that pain and move on.

As I pull up to the cemetery, I feel a wave of sadness wash over me. I park my car and take a deep breath, steeling myself for what's to come. I get out of the car and start walking toward the grave, the familiar pain welling up inside me. But this time, I don't push it away. I let myself feel it, knowing that it's a necessary part of the process.

I stand at the headstone, tears streaming down my face as I remember my mother and all the things she meant to me. I tell her about how much I've grown since she's been gone, and how much I've learned about myself. I talk about how much I miss her and how much I wish she was still here. I tell her about Scarlett, and how I think she would have liked her.

I stand there for a while, letting the tears flow freely until I feel a sense of peace wash over me. I feel lighter like a burden has been lifted. I turn to leave, but then I see a figure in the distance, someone I recognize. It's Scarlett, standing a few graves over, her eyes fixed on me. I'm not sure what to do, but I know that I can't just ignore her.

I can't help but wonder if there's something bigger at work here. Are we being brought together by fate, or is it just a coincidence that our paths keep crossing? I've always been a rational person, but I find myself considering the possibility that there's something more to this. And as I ponder that idea, I can't help but feel a spark of hope in my heart.

As get closer, I see that Scarlett isn't alone - she's holding Ava's hand. Ava looks up at me and her face lights up, and she runs towards me, arms outstretched. I kneel and she throws herself into my arms, hugging me tightly. I feel a surge of emotion as I hold her close, and I can't help but smile. I look up at Scarlett, and she smiles back at me, her eyes full of understanding and warmth.

I greet them both warmly, my voice cracking a bit as I try to speak. "Hello, Scarlett," I say, my eyes meeting hers. "What are you doing here?" I ask, unable to keep the surprise out of my voice, I hadn't expected to see her here.

"I'm here for my aunt's death anniversary," Scarlett says, a wistful expression on her face. "I always come here to visit her. I know she's gone, but it helps me to be here." Her eyes are filled with sadness, but also with acceptance. I know how much her aunt meant to her, and I understand why she feels the need to come here.

"Well, I actually came to visit my mother's grave," I say, gesturing to the headstone a few rows over. "I come here on her anniversary, too. It's been a couple of years since she passed, but it still feels important to pay my respects." I look at Scarlett, and I can see a look of understanding in her eyes. It's like we're sharing a moment of silent solidarity, both of us honoring the people we've lost.

"You know, it's a beautiful day," I say, clearing my throat. "Why don't we all go and get some lunch?" I suggest. I'm feeling like I need to break the tension, and a change of scene might be good for all of us. Ava looks up at me with a grin, and I can see the light in her eyes returning. "Yes, please!" she says excitedly. Scarlett nods her agreement, and the three of us start to walk away from the graves, toward the car park.

I lead the way to my car, a sleek black sedan that I've always been proud of. I open the doors for Scarlett and Ava, and we all settle inside. As I start the engine and pull out of the car park, Ava says, "Where are we going for lunch?" I think for a moment, and then I say, "I know just the place." I give them both a wink, and then I start to drive. I can tell they're both intrigued, and I can't help but smile to myself.

As we walk into the restaurant, I feel a sense of contentment that I haven't felt in a long time. It's like we're a little family unit, and it feels right. We sit down at a table, and the waiter brings us menus. As we peruse the options, I look at Scarlett and Ava, and I feel grateful for this moment. I feel like I've been given a gift, and I'm determined to make the most of it.

"I'm so glad to be back at school because that means I can play with my friends again," Ava says, her face lighting up. "And I can do painting and playdough and all the fun stuff! And I get to see Miss Johnson, and she's the best teacher ever!" I can't help but smile at her enthusiasm, and I can tell that Scarlett is trying to hide her amusement as well. Ava's joy is infectious, and it's impossible not to be affected by it.

As I watch Scarlett and Ava interact, I can't help but feel a sense of longing. I realize that I want what they have - a deep and meaningful connection that goes beyond words. I want to be the one who makes Scarlett smile like that, who brings out the joy in her. And I know that if I want that, I'll have to be vulnerable and open myself up to her. I'll have to take a risk and show her who I am.

As we dug into our meal I heard Ava say "Alexander, can we do this again?" she asks, her voice full of hope. "I like spending time with you, and I think we should do it more often!" I'm taken aback by her words, but I can't help but feel a rush of joy. I look at her, and I see that she's beaming at me. "I think that's a great idea," I say, a smile spreading across my face.

I see Scarlett shift in her seat, a look of uncertainty on her face. "Ava, I'm not sure that's a good idea," she says, her voice gentle but firm. "Alexander is a busy person, and he might not have time to do this again." I feel a pang of disappointment, I understand where Scarlett is coming from but what she doesn't get is that once it has to do with her and Ava I'm willing to go all out for them.

After I dropped Scarlett and Ava home I called Sarah my assistant to cancel my plans for tomorrow morning. "Is everything okay, she asks, her voice full of concern

I hesitate for a moment, and then I decide to be honest. "I know this is short notice, but I need to do this," I say, my voice firm. "I know it's going to cause some problems, but I promise I'll make it up to you." I can hear Sarah sigh on the other end of the line, but she doesn't argue with me. "Okay, I'll take care of it," she says, her tone resigned but understanding.

I felt guilty for leaving my work but I know that I need to do this, for myself, Scarlett, and Ava. I go home and try to get some sleep, but my mind is racing. I can't stop thinking about the next day, and what it might bring.