The New Normal

Começar do início

"Okay, the first letter's a 'B'," Spencer said, scrawling the letter on notebook paper. "'A'. It's an 'A'."

"I think it's gonna tell us who 'A' is," Hanna said hopefully.

"'D'," Spencer replied.

"B-A-D," Emily frowned.

"Bad," Hanna repeated.

"That's the whole message? Bad?" Isabel scoffed. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means you got punked," Aria huffed, looking over at them. "Toby doesn't trust us. I don't blame him."

"No, I don't think he'd mess with us like this," Emily frowned.

"You'd be surprised what people are capable of," Aria spat, glaring at Hanna.

"You guys, we have to figure this out," Spencer insisted. "This might be a joke, but it could be something real."

"Look, it could be a bunch of numbers," Isabel pointed out, but no one payed her any mind.

"Look, either way, Toby's not the enemy," Hanna argued with Aria.

"You know what, guys? I'm gonna go," Aria said loudly, gathering her stuff and leaving.

"It's getting late. I'm gonna head off, too," Isabel agreed, also leaving.

-

"What is with you and the artful dodger?" Spencer asked as Hanna and Aria sat down the next day at lunch the next day.

"Who?" Hanna frowned.

"Caleb," Emily clarified.

"I thought that thing at the swim meet was a one-off," Spencer said.

"It was!" Hanna snapped.

"We just saw you talking to him," Spencer replied. "And you gave him something that looked like a wet oven mitt."

"It was his hat," Hanna admitted.

"What are you doing with his hat?" Emily asked.

"Why shouldn't I have his hat?" Hanna shot back. So...Hanna didn't want the others to know Caleb was crashing at hers. Huh. Some serious leverage. Now Isabel could bribe Hanna out of teasing her about Jason.

"Hanna, maybe you're looking for something a little edgier after Sean," Spencer suggested. "But this guy is dark." Isabel stared at her. "No offense."

"Spencer, he's not that dark," Hanna argued.

"He's dark enough," Spencer argued.

"Really, Spence?" Isabel snapped.

"Well, he's no Arthur Dodger, whoever that is," Hanna added.

"Yeah, he's just... had it tough," Aria agreed.

"Are you two on speaking terms again?" Isabel asked.

"'Course we are," Aria grinned. Suddenly, an argument between Mr. McCullers and Mr. Fitz about 'preferential treatment' ensued. But Isabel was no longer paying attention.

-

"When are you supposed to see Toby?" Isabel asked Spencer. They were at a clothing shop.

"Tomorrow, while Jenna's at her music lesson," Spencer explained as they watched Hanna and Aria try to give each other the same top.

"Take it," Hanna insisted.

"No," Aria said. "No, you take it."

"The storm has passed," Spencer joked as the two of them walked back over.

"What was going on with you two?" Isabel asked.

"Okay, so, you know how I went to that museum with Ezra?" Aria began. They all nodded. "Well, 'A' tried to get Hanna to ruin it."

"Ruin it how?" Spencer frowned.

"'A' gave me another ticket and made me give it to Aria's mom," Hanna explained.

"God Hanna... why didn't you tell us what was happening?" Emily said.

"Well, I tried to stop it. I mean, her mom's car didn't just stall," Hanna continued. "Caleb fixed it to keep from getting there, and that's why I owe him."

"Yeah, and he's the one who's been breaking into vending machines at school," Aria added. "I mean, he's practically living there."

"In school?" Emily gaped.

"Hey, I offered him my place," Isabel shrugged.

"Where do you live, anyway?" Spencer asked.

"Edgewood Motor Court," Isabel smiled bitterly. It was nice and all, but a mini-fridge didn't really count as a real fridge.

"Anyway, they found his stuff, so he's not sleeping there anymore," Hanna continued. "He's sleeping in my basement."

"Wait. Rewind that a little for me," Aria frowned.

"Does your mom know?" Emily added.

"No, but... it's just for a couple of nights so..." Hanna muttered.

"A couple of nights?" Spencer hissed. "Are you crazy?"

"Spence, that's my brother. How would you like it if you found out you had a brother, and he was homeless, and I let him stay with me?" Isabel snapped.

"Well, I don't, so..." Spencer said defensively.

"Guys," Aria gulped, pointing to the lingerie section.

"Oh, wow. Hold on. Turn around," the lady said as she fit Jenna with a black lacy piece."It fits perfectly. Let me just pull this over it. The length looks great..."

"I want it to be perfect," Jenna sighed. "He likes lace."