Chapter Nineteen: Risk

Zacznij od początku

Callidus's cold expression remained unchanged, "And those papers happen to concern matters of trade routes and border security, topics that are sensitive and crucial to the kingdom's stability. You're well aware that the punishment for such an act can range from life imprisonment to death."

Jasper swallowed thickly, his eyes darting from Foster to Lady Hale before responding carefully, "I know, Cal. I understand the seriousness of it all. But Foster, he's not some spy or assassin. And he's hurt-"

"He may not be a spy or assassin, but he is certainly a thief. My study door was securely locked, and yet he gained entry."

"Foster's always been talented at getting into places he doesn't belong. That doesn't make him a thief. That makes him a...a rat."

"Such a glowing endorsement," Callidus said dryly.

Jasper winced, "Come on, Cal."

"And what do you think the rat's punishment should be? How would you react if you discovered an intruder in your private study?"

Jasper hesitated for a moment, his brows furrowing as he considered the question. "Well, to be honest, I'd be impressed and probably offer them a drink," he attempted a small, half-hearted grin.

Callidus's lips twitched with a shadow of a smile. "How kind of you, Jasper." His tone, however, remained frosty. "But as you already know, we are two very different people, and I value my privacy."

His eyes flicked to Foster, who flinched from the intensity of his stare. The discomfort in Foster's expression was evident, and Callidus wondered if he was recalling the private scene he had inadvertently witnessed between Callidus and Cressida the previous night.

"Arden." Callidus's voice snapped with authority, and Arden immediately straightened, his concerned expression morphing into one of professionalism.

"Yes, Your Highness!"

"Summon the guards," Callidus commanded. "They are to escort Foster to an isolated cell in the dungeon to await severe punishment."

Arden nodded and turned to leave, but before he could take more than a step, Jasper's voice rose in protest, "Wait, Cal! Please!"

Callidus held up a hand, signaling for Arden to halt. "Jasper," Callidus began, "The severity of his punishment is a matter of law and precedent."

"But you have the power to influence that decision," he argued.

Callidus's expression remained composed, his eyes fixed on Jasper's. "I do have influence, yes," he acknowledged, his voice measured. "But I must also uphold order within my kingdom."

Jasper's grey eyes bore into Callidus's, "I know you can show mercy if you choose to, Cal. As of right now, the only people aware of Foster's intrusion into your study are you, me, Hale, and Arden."

"I find it hard to believe that you failed to inform your other 'friends.'"

Jasper extended his hands, palms up in a defensive gesture, "I swear, Cal. No one else knows. In all honesty, I didn't want to worry them."

"Then what are you suggesting, Jasper?"

"I'm suggesting that we handle this discreetly. There's no need for anyone else to know about this, as long as you can find it in yourself to forgive him."

"Jasper," Callidus's voice hardened, "you ask me to extend mercy, to show leniency. But why should I? What do I gain from it?"

Jasper's gaze searched Callidus's, his desperation giving way to a realization. "What do you want?" he murmured; his voice barely audible.