Ch. 2- Dancing Queen on The Italian Streets

Start from the beginning

It was enough—more than enough. Her tears ignited a rage within me, like Mount Vesuvius on the brink of eruption.

I jerked myself out of the reverie, desperate to save myself.

How long had I been meditating? When had I dozed off?

Twilight bathed the lake in a crimson and sapphire hue. It was so serene, unbelievably breathtaking.

"Why can't you see all of this, Kaya?" I questioned, not knowing which version of myself I was addressing

"Why can't you see all of this, Kaya?" I questioned, not knowing which version of myself I was addressing. I was weary, striving to impress all the bruised and hurt versions of myself.

A low rumble emanated from my stomach. Hunger. My body was craving food.

I thought about ordering room service while I looked over the menu next to the intercom. However, the prices surprised me. I knew I was lucky to have snagged this room at a 75% discount for a week, but the dining choices were way out of my budget. I could afford them, but I didn't want to splurge unnecessarily. I had seen how unchecked greed and extravagance could lead to a person's downfall. So, I decided to dine out and save the money for some enjoyable shopping.

I unzipped my suitcase, filled with dresses I had brought along, and my eyes fell on a red dress made from flowing fabric. It had a long, slightly fluffy skirt that ended just above my ankles. The upper part fit my body perfectly, featuring a sweetheart neckline and thin sleeves that draped from my shoulders down my arms. It was the ideal attire for a romantic date night, but since I was the most important person in my life, I aimed to look beautiful for no one but myself.

I debated whether to wear matching red high heels or white sneakers and ultimately settled on the latter. With my dark brown hair left loose, and its naturally rolled but semi-bombshell curls tumbling down, I completed my look with matching red lipstick, blush, and heavy mascara. Considering Italy's reputation for pickpocketing, I wore a cross-body purse and positioned it in front of me to deter potential thieves.

I was ready for my adventure.

Passing by the reception, I noticed that Julia had finished her shift and was carrying a tote bag. When she saw me, a smile played on her lips.

"Already taking my advice, Cara Mia? Did Papa Luca helped you?" Julia winked.

I shook my head. "No! I'm going out for a meal," I protested.

"Oh, nobody dines alone in this city! Why don't you order something from the à la carte menu in your room if you want to eat alone?"

"Girl, I can't afford that. Can't you see I booked the room during the 75% off sale?" I revealed my secret to her. Julia responded with a disappointed gesture and sighed,

"I guess I'm not the only broke bitch in the house then."

I burst out laughing, and Julia joined in. She laughed so hard that she even snorted. I wondered how much she had to drink before finishing her shift.