Ch. 1- Welcome to The Hotel Caelus at Como, Italy

Start from the beginning

The flight itself was relatively short, taking only two hours to get from Heathrow to Milan Malpensa. However, my journey was far from over, as I still had to catch a train from Milan to Como. After going through immigration in Milan, I realized it was 9 a.m. local time, as Milan is one hour ahead of the UK time zone.

The airport was bustling with various food kiosks, and the delicious smells of freshly baked bread made my stomach growl with hunger. Unable to resist, I decided to satisfy my cravings by buying a Tuna Tramezzino sandwich for my second breakfast from one of the nearby kiosks.

Before heading to the train station, I called my hotel to confirm my arrival and requested a chauffeur to pick me up from the train station. They assured me that everything was arranged and that a ride would be waiting for me upon my arrival. I gracefully thanked them and made my way to the train station within the airport. I boarded the Malpensa Express train at Terminal 1. Even though my journey began in Milan, my final destination wasn't the city itself. I planned to get off at Saronno, just a 20-minute train ride away. From there, I would continue my journey to Milano Cardona, where I would transfer to my last train bound for Como Lago.

Before switching trains, I updated my hotel's reception with my new Italian phone number, which I had obtained at the airport. They assured me that the designated driver would contact me within 30 minutes of my arrival.

The scenery outside my train window was breathtaking and surreal, momentarily taking me to another world. The magnificent mountains, lush landscapes, and serene surroundings were so captivating that I almost forgot my destination and the reason for my trip. Though I had brought a book with me, intending to read during the journey, the mesmerizing views outside made me lose myself in the views.

 Though I had brought a book with me, intending to read during the journey, the mesmerizing views outside made me lose myself in the views

As expected, right on schedule, I received a call from my driver. He introduced himself as Luca, and his voice was as smooth as melted butter with a hint of honey, as I guessed he would be in his late 50's. I decided to create a mental image of him so that I could easily identify him when I arrived at the station.

Upon descending from my train at Como Lago station, I found myself in the midst of a bustling crowd who came to see Lake Como.  It had always been a popular tourist destination, and I had not anticipated that it would be easy for my chauffeur to spot me among the sea of tourists arriving from various parts of the world.

  It had always been a popular tourist destination, and I had not anticipated that it would be easy for my chauffeur to spot me among the sea of tourists arriving from various parts of the world