34

Author's POV.

Kosta paced back and forth behind his tent, the moon casting long shadows as the camp lay in slumber. The weight of his mission pressed heavily on his shoulders. Fingers tapping nervously on his phone, he sent the calculated location to his uncle's men, praying their trap would work and save the camp from impending doom.

"I hope this works" Kosta whispered to himself.

His attention shifted to Blaire's tent, he needed to make sure she was safe, no matter the cost. He took a deep breath and moved towards her tent, his heart racing in his chest.

Kosta's eyes widened as he peeked inside, finding the tent empty. Panic gripped him, cold tendrils creeping up his spine. He looked around the campsite, his mind racing with worst-case scenarios.

"Fuck it, where is she" He cursed under his breath.

Suddenly, a sharp gunshot cut through the stillness, causing Kosta to jump. His instincts kicked in, and he pulled out his gun, sprinting towards the source of the sound, his heart pounding in his ears.

Branches snapped under his hurried steps as he moved deeper into the dense forest. Then, amidst the silence that followed, he heard soft, stifled sobs. His heart clenched, and he followed the sound, his grip on his gun tightening.

"Hang on, Blaire."

As he pushed through the foliage, he spotted her. Blaire was huddled behind a bush, her tear-streaked face hidden in her arms. Kosta's urgency turned to relief, and he hurried over to her, his gun now forgotten.

"Blaire?"

She looked up, her eyes red and puffy. Without hesitation, she launched herself at him, wrapping her arms around him as if he were her lifeline. Kosta held her tightly, his heartache matching hers.

"Kosta, I was so scared." Blaire muttered between her sobs.

"Shh, you're safe now. I'm here."

He stroked her hair, his touch gentle and reassuring. Gradually, her sobs subsided, and she pulled away slightly, her watery eyes meeting his.

Kosta's POV.

"I heard a gunshot, and I didn't know what to do. I thought..."

"You're okay. Everything will be alright." I said as I held her hand. "Let's go"

I held Blaire's hand tightly, urgency pushing us forward as we rushed away from the dense forest. Our steps were hurried but cautious, avoiding any attention from the sleeping camp around us.

"Where are we going?" Blaire whispered.

I didn't answer her question, my focus fixed on ensuring our safety first. We weaved between tents and shadows, our breaths quick and hearts racing. Soon, we reached the edge of the campsite, where the distant glow of city lights illuminated the horizon.

Without stopping, I led her onward, moving across the open space until we were on the other side of the forest. As we emerged from the tree line, a breathtaking view of the city unfolded before us. The twinkling lights created a picturesque tapestry against the dark canvas of the night sky.

The wind brushed against our faces, carrying with it a refreshing coolness that contrasted with the tension we'd left behind. I finally turned to Blaire, a hint of a smile on my lips.