29

As I walked into the house, worn out from all the fun, I noticed the sheriff Mr. Gomez engaged in a conversation with my parents in the living room.

"Take a seat, Blaire," Mom instructed, and I complied.

"Hello, Ms. Blaire Wood. How have you been?" the sheriff inquired.

Glancing at my parents, I felt a sense of unease, unsure of what the sheriff was about to reveal.

"I'm... I'm fine," I replied, my words stumbling.

"That's good to hear. I'm here today because we've made some progress on Elise's case," the sheriff stated. "Do you remember any distinct features of the gunman's face?"

I recollected locking eyes with the gunman, recalling the deep ocean-like eyes and a sense of familiarity I couldn't quite place.

"Have you discovered anything?" Mom questioned the sheriff.

"Indeed, we have! We revisited the abandoned building and uncovered multiple DNA samples and items of clothing that belong to the assailant. It appears there might be more than one killer involved," the sheriff explained.

"We also concluded that the killers are connected to someone in politics."

My parents exchanged worried glances, their concern evident. It was clear that the case was far from over, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched.

The sheriff has already left, but my mind is occupied with a thousand thoughts. The mystery of Elise's death remains unsolved, and the authorities couldn't identify the real culprit.

...

Blaire sat in her room, trying to focus on her homework, but Mr. Gomez's earlier statement lingered in her mind. The idea that the killer might have political connections troubled her, as it implied protection and obstruction of justice.

Her thoughts were interrupted by her sister Lily, who burst into the room excitedly.

Furious, she frowned at her "I told you to knock when you're coming in" She blurted out.

"Oh, I'm sorry" she apologized and got to the point.

"What is it?" Blaire asked, annoyed by the interruption.

Lily grinned mischievously. "Your boyfriend is at downstairs."

Blaire's eyebrows furrowed even more. "I told you, I don't have a boyfriend."

Lily chuckled. "I meant Kosta is at downstairs."

Blaire nearly choked at Lily's statement. "What?!" she exclaimed.

Lily laughed and playfully exited the room.

"This kid.." She murmured.

She got up and rush downstairs, she found Kosta sitting in the couch entertained by her parents who seemed to adore him.

"Oh, Blaire! Kosta came to visit you," Mom beamed.

"Yeah, I really like this kid. We share a similar personality," Dad chuckled.

Seating herself beside her mom, Blaire glanced at Lily, who was clearly enjoying the situation. She was being mentally teased.

"So, Kosta, do you have a girlfriend?" Mom inquired, catching both Kosta and Blaire off guard.

Kosta chuckled, exchanging a glance with Blaire, "Not at the moment. I'm not into relationships yet."

Mom continued, "You know, I've always wanted Blaire to have a boyfriend, but all she does is study." Feeling a bit embarrassed, Blaire tugged at her mom's shirt.

Blaire cleared her throat "Mom!" She said, giving her a playful smile.

Kosta found the situation amusing, chuckling as he said, "I'm up for being her potential boyfriend." His unexpected response caught everyone off guard.

Mr. Wood laughed hysterically. "Let's not take jokes too seriously, okay?"

"Of course, just kidding," Kosta chuckled softly.

"That's a relief," Dad said.

"By the way, why don't you join us for dinner?" Mrs. Wood offered, and Kosta happily agreed.

"Sure thing, I'll whip up a tasty dinner for all of us," Mrs. Wood said, then hurried to the kitchen with Dad.

Left alone in the living room, Kosta and Blaire exchanged awkward glances.

"Why did you actually come?" Blaire asked.

"I was passing by and thought I'd drop in to see you," Kosta replied.

A hint of smile formed in Blaire's lips, but she still acted normal. As they talked both of them couldn't ignore the spark between eachother.

...

The sound of clinking glasses at chattering filled the entire household.

"You know," Mr. Wood began, "I was much like you when I was your age. No room for love in my schedule, but all of that changed when I met their mother," he added, casting a fond glance at his wife, who wore a knowing grin.

Caught in the midst of an awkward moment, Blaire and Lily are dying inside because of cringe.

Kosta chuckled softly, saying, "Really? Maybe I'll be like you someday when I find a woman who's meant for me."

Blaire and Kosta exchanged glances before breaking their eye contact.

"Oh, sure you will, but don't rush things," Mrs. Wood chimed in, taking a bite of her dinner.

"Sometimes, I wonder how being in love feels." Kosta said.

"It's like finding someone who understands you in ways no one else does, someone who makes your heart race and your soul feel at peace." Mr. Wood replied with a wistful smile.

Kosta nodded thoughtfully. "I guess it's about feeling a connection that goes beyond words, right?"

"Exactly," Mrs. Wood agreed "It's like having a constant companion, someone you can lean on, share your dreams with, and face life's ups and downs together."

Blaire listened attentively at her parents words, a hint of smile in her lips.

Mrs. Wood added, "But remember, love takes time to grow and mature. It's not just about finding someone, but also about building a strong bond based on trust, respect, and understanding."

“I never know what love feels like, but now I understand the meaning” Kosta looked at Blaire, his eyes reflective. "I hope to experience that kind of love someday."

Mrs. Wood smiled warmly. "I'm sure you will, Kosta. Just give it time and let it happen naturally."

As the conversation continued, the evening flowed with laughter, stories giving a lively atmosphere through the entire household.