Still, a man can hope, can’t he?

That is why I will keep hoping—until the very last second.

“Yes. The alterations are finished. And I also went to the boutique with Mom to finalize the jewelry I will wear with the dress,” Nandini says, shifting uncomfortably in her seat, which makes me frown.

“Do you not like the gown, Nandini? Or the jewelry? If that’s the matter, you can tell Mom about it. The designer is her friend but I am sure Mom won’t get offended if you—”

“No, Manik,” Nandini interrupts me, her voice hesitant. “The gown is beautiful and jewelry too is exquisite. But they are very expensive. I had reluctantly agreed to wear that gown because I had thought I would be able to pay for it when I leave. But the jewelry is too much. Do you think Mom will feel bad if I return it to her before I leave? Because I don’t think I will be able to afford it.”

A pang jolts my heart as I process her words.

She still is thinking of leaving.

‘You have time, Manik, to try and change her mind. Don’t let the desolateness get to you yet,’ I reassure myself, taking a deep breath before starting to speak.

“I am sure Mom will understand. In fact, she will also be proud of your way of thinking.” I smile at her. “I know I am.”

She smiles back at me, about to say something, when the waiter interrupts us.

“Umm, please give us some time to decide,” I tell him and he leaves after nodding at me.

“What would you like to have, Nandini?” I ask, and she looks at the menu, her eyes widening as she continues peering at it.

When she keeps looking at the menu and does not reply to me, I gently tap on her hand. “What happened, Nandini? Do you not like anything on the menu?”

“Oh, umm, no. There are a couple of dishes that I like,” she replies.

“Tell me then. What are the dishes that you like and I will order them for you,” I tell her.

Although her reticent demeanor makes me frown, I patiently wait for her to reply.

A few seconds later though, I narrow my eyes as I watch her look around before leaning toward me. She gestures me to do the same too and I lean in, wondering what’s the matter.

“The dishes are too expensive, Manik. I can make the same at home at less than half of the prices they have quoted here,” she whispers, again looking around, making sure no one has heard her. “Are the dishes always so expensive in these type of resturants?”

I look at her curious face, her big, beautiful eyes wandering around before landing on me, and I feel my heart getting engulfed in a rush of emotions I feel at that moment for this girl.

“Have you never been to this type of place before?” I ask, gulping when she bites her lower lip before shaking her head.

“Maa and Papa used to go out with Vivek one night a week to have dinner, but they never took me with them. They used to bring food parcel for me though,” she tells me, and I feel the emotions knotting my heart tightly as I see a sheen of tears gather in her eyes.

“You must have felt bad then. Didn’t you say anything to them? Didn’t you throw tantrums, demanding to take you with them?”

She blinks her eyes rapidly, preventing the tears to slide down her face.

“I never thought about demanding anything from them.” Her lips curve into a sad smile. “Maa and Papa used to taunt me, saying such things, that it would always make me feel I am such a burden to them.

“That is why, instead of throwing tantrums at them for not taking me out, I used to be grateful that they at least brought a parcel for me even though I am such a nuisance to them. I used to thank them for not keeping me hungry while I ate the food alone in my room.”

My heart clenches painfully as I hear her, and unable to stop myself, I hold her hands, both our faces still leaning toward each other over the table in between us.

“Vivek used to fight with them, saying he too won’t go if they do not take me,” she continues. “When we were younger, they used to pacify him and somehow convince him to go out with them. But as time passed by, Vivek became reluctant in going out and eventually that tradition stopped.

“My parents were so stubborn that they stopped to do that altogether rather than take me with them.”

“Let’s make this our tradition then,” I say, noticing her frown at my words. “I mean, let us go out for dinner at least once in a week. Would that be ok?”

She looks at me for a couple of seconds, her face thoughtful. “Will we continue the tratdition if we decide to get separated from each other?”

“We will,” I reply, squeezing her hands gently. “We will continue as long as you will want to.”