The little goblin around the Corner

I walked to the infirmary with Flapjack hiding in my cloak.

"Chirpy chirp chirp!"

"Yeah yeah, it was a good decision, whatever.. Now shush, someone will hear you."

"Chirp.."

I covered my face with my mask as I walked into the infirmary. I saw scouts with bloody faces and wounds all over. I stopped to look at them when they realized it was me and saluted.

"No need to do Salute. What happened here..?"

A scout who had an ice pack on his head replied with a raspy and strained voice. He looked to be about 20 years old.

"Belos sent us to get Stonesleeper lungs.. and we- we had a hard time, to be brief.."

Stonesleeper lungs? What does he need that for? A younger scout, who looked about 12 spoke up who was in the process of being healed.

"We tried to get it.. We couldn't.."

The younger scout started to tear up and looked down at the ground with shame. Anger aroused within me when I saw how much Belos and these missions were effecting the scouts, especially the younger ones.

"How old are you..?" I asked.

"I'm 10.."

10?! He shouldn't be going on these types of missions yet! Was Belos that desperate for those stonesleeper lungs?!

"Well.. I give you permission to take a day or two off. To heal. In fact, all of you get the rest of the day off."

The young scout looked at me, his eyes lighting up when I told him he could take the day off.

"R-really..?! T-Thank you..! Thank you so much..!"

"It's nothing."

I walked away with guilt consuming me. I'm going to be in so much trouble for doing that.. Hettie looked over at me as I approached her, realizing I had been hurt by Belos. She gave me a look of concern as she led me to a private room to talk and heal me.

"You shouldn't have done that, Hunter. You know how he gets."

"I know.. But that scout was only 10! He shouldn't be going on missions that dangerous yet!"

I took off my mask to reveal the bruise that Belos had given me. I rolled up my sleeve and took off my glove to show Hettie. She sighed and knelt down to inspect my wrist.

"Hm.. it's sprained.. How did this happen?"

"He just grabbed my wrist a little too hard.."

"Does it hurt when I touch it?"

As soon as Hettie's hand touched my wrist I pulled my arm back squeezing my eyes shut and wincing in pain.

"I guess that's a yes.."

Hettie healed my face first and then moved to heal my wrist since the bruise on my face took less time. As she was healing my hand, she started to speak again.

"What you did back there.. that was very brave of you. You have a kind heart, Hunter."

"Yeah.. well, Belos won't think that when he finds out.. I'm gonna get my ass beat.."

"Language."

"Sorry.."

Hettie finished healing my wrist and bandaged it up. I got up and put my mask back on as Hettie walked me out of the infirmary.

"Thank you, Hettie.."

"No problem. Be careful, boy."

"I will.."

I sighed as I walked out of the infirmary with Flapjack peaking out of my cloak.

"Chirp chirp?"

"Yeah, I'm okay, Flap.."

I held Flapjack close to me as I walked, making sure he stayed hidden. As I turned the corner, Kikimora was waiting for me.

"Hello, Golden Brat.."

"Hello Kikimora.. Do you need anything?" I spoke with annoyance as I waited for her to speak.

"Oh, nothing.. I just wanted to inform you that Belos wants you in his throne room.. Immediately."

"O-oh. Okay.. Thank you for informing me.."

"The pleasure is all mine.."

As I walked away, I heard Kikimora laughing hysterically. Shit.. She must've told Belos..! I thought I had more time before he figured out..

"Chirp..?"

"Yeah, I'll be okay, Flap.. Just go to my room. Just in case.. y'know? I don't want anything happening to you."

"Chirpy chirp.."

I hid behind a wall and released Flapjack as he flew to my room. I took a deep breath as I walked to the throne room, ready for another beating.

*

*

*