Chapter 4 : Magic Was Convenient, After all.

'Wow, they really cry a lot.'

Both mother and daughter have been weeping for quite some time now. The thing was, they stopped once in a while, but after seeing me looking at them, and blinking, then they would let out yet another round of gushing waterfalls once again.

To be fair, I believed the girl only cried following her mother. Because she would only start crying after the woman began weeping.

Meanwhile, the man who held the shoulder of the two was still looking at me with bloodshot eyes.

'Man...what a family...' I could already spot the troublesome future that awaited me from miles away.

It appeared to me that even though they couldn't wait to smother me to death, something had been keeping them at bay. Hence, they've been standing and wailing all this time, four to five feet away from the bed.

'Hm...Are they scared that I'll break if they touch me?'

Sure enough, my guess was proven to be true soon after.

A man with hastened steps entered the room. After bowing to the father and conversing for a short while, he made a beeline right beside me.

As if his life was on the line, the man I could only assume to be a doctor of some sort started examining me. I couldn't see for sure, since he had gone to the opposite side, out from the edge of my vision. My best bet would be that he was measuring my pulse. Maybe...

He then moved carefully around the bed and did another round of diagnosing on my body, from top to bottom.

Lastly, he closed his eyes and muttered something.

Then a bright glow, followed by a symbol appeared above his head. It flashed twice before dimmed down gradually and softly disappeared.

'Magic...?' I could only guess that he tried to heal me, lacking the ability to hear and feel anything.

The doctor got off the bed, and without a second to miss, the three figures immediately jumped on him like a pack of predators.

I offered him my silent prayer, seeing the poor old man flinching in place.

They talked for a while, asking this and that to the man while he tried his best to answer all of it.

It was hard to get a grasp of the conversation because the doctor's gesture really didn't help that much.

But after seeing as the tears I thought had dried were spilling out once more along with the colors that returned to their faces, I reckoned they must've heard something good from the doctor.

'Oh, here they come!'

Now let's pause here for a bit and talk about my coming predicament.

To tell the truth, I was a little nervous about this whole family situation thing.

Being an orphan in my first life and never putting any emphasis on building memorable social ties with anybody, I really didn't have a single freaking clue how to act in front of these people.

Be that as it may, I didn't want to act the same way I used to. Being that miserable, lonely, and desensitized once was enough for me. I didn't want to go through something like that again.

I have a new life. A new dream...

Something has to change.

So, with anxiety creeping ever closer to the helpless and ever so awkward me, I watched my new family approach the bed carefully.

Mother was sitting gently right beside my hand while my Sister was fidgeting in place. Maybe she wanted to touch me but still found it scary or something.

And then Father, who was supporting the two with his hands on their shoulder, was looking at me. Studying my eyes. He was trying to hide it, but I couldn't help but spot the reddening of his eyes and the slightly erratic breathing that accompanied it.

'Now, now...what to do...'

I honestly was at a loss...but something was at least better than nothing, right?

'I could at least tell them that I'm fine...They still looked worried...'

Since moving my body was still a no-no, I chose the more convenient way instead.

'Blow a little and gentle breeze at their faces.'

Magic was convenient, after all.

Their eyes go wide, staring at me stupefied. The breeze must've done its job splendidly.

'Okay, now that they're looking at me...'

I looked at them and blinked three times. 'I. Am. Fine!'

Afterward, I closed it with another breeze to stamp the message in.

'Blow a little and gentle breeze at their faces again.'

And ta-dah! There was the waterfall again.

But this time, even Father, who had been doing a terrific job at holding it in, was joining in with the two.

'Haa...What do I do with them...?'

Again. I seriously have no freaking clue what to do.

'Can someone help me? God? Are you there...?'

'Help me, please...'