22

Dick and Jason stayed outside with me, making sure I was comfortable. They waited in silence, wanting me to speak first. The air chilled me despite Jason's warmth and Dick was quick to slip off his jacket and lay it over me.

"But what about you?" I tried to argue, but he gave me a look that told me he was more worried about me than himself.

I felt a rush of emotion wash over me. Never, in all my life, have I felt as safe as I have with Dick and Jason caring for me the way they did. At least until we heard rushed footsteps.

"Master Dick, Master Jason," Alfred exclaimed, "what on earth are you thinking, staying out here?"

Then he caught sight of me and his brow furrowed with silent question. Question, I didn't exactly want to answer immediately.

"I'm alright," I stated, making an attempt to stand and failing; my body clearly didn't want to listen to my words.

I fell back against Jason, who resorted to looping an arm under my legs and lifting me as he, himself, stood.

"I'll get the fire going. You can explain everything to Master Bruce when you get inside," Alfred decided.

"Thank you, Alfred," Dick spoke, standing and already making his way inside.

"You want to talk to him?" Jay probed, looking between Dick and I, "Is that a good idea?"

"It's not like we can get out of it," I murmured, already feeling myself fading yet fighting it.

Despite the warmth I felt, I felt myself shivering. Jason hugged me tighter, keeping me close as the four of us entered the Wayne Manor. He was careful not to bump me against any walls. We entered a small, dark room filled with book laden shelves. A fireplace gave the place an eerie glow that made the red cushions of the couch and chairs, sitting across from each other, all that brighter and the appearance of being stained with blood.

Bruce was already standing, having a whispered conversation with Dick as I was settled on the chair nearest the flames. The heat helped me stay warm but it was becoming harder to resist the waves of sick wanting to force its way out again.

"What did you see?" Bruce's gruff tone cut through my daze and I looked at him with fear and confusion before understanding what he meant.

"I'll get a pot of tea," Alfred dismissed himself in a rush, passing a sympathetic look over his shoulder.

"I'm not entirely sure," I admitted, turning my gaze into the flames, wishing to be somewhere else, "It was dirty, a little bright."

I was given a pause to think but I didn't know how to explain anything else without sounding even more deranged than I probably should've been.

"Details, Nova," Dick urged, earning a glare from Bruce.

"You boys have done enough; You can go for the night. Nova and I can finish this conversation without you," he dismissed, not even sparing them a glance.

"Don't you think we should-"

"Just listen to him and go, Jason," I pleaded not wanting him to anger Bruce but also to help reduce the noise instigating my headache, "I'm fine."

With an obvious counter-argument in mind, Jason said nothing more as he and Dick both left. I felt Bruce's eyes on me but I could only look at the door the boys left out just seconds ago. I hesitated but eventually, I opened up about the short dream that felt too real. Bruce listened and when I finished, his brow furrowed. I was particularly surprised as I was not aware he was able to make his frown even more menacing.

"I suspected, but was unsure until now," Bruce commented, "You are the experiment Joker accused me of stealing."

"What do you mean 'accused'?" I wondered, feeling my brow furrow as I sat up, ignoring my swimming vision, "You've seen him?"

"Just a few hours ago. It seems he saw your body wasn't where he left it and when he heard you were in Gotham he suspected me. Of course, he wasn't too far off," Bruce explained monotonously.

I sat back, closing my eyes and clutching at my forehead. I heard ringing along with blurred outlines and I heard screaming... my screaming, and Joker's laughing. I clenched my jaw, my teeth grinding together.

"It doesn't make sense," I seethed, "Why don't I remember?"

"You weren't supposed to even begin to remember. My guess is something triggered those repressed memories and broke whatever seal was placed to keep them repressed," Bruce explained, "Do you have an exact start to these episodes?"

"I don't... " my words trailed as my eyes widened and my hands dropped, "Right after he died but it was always a confusing blur. It wasn't until now that I finally had a clear image."

"His death to life act likely poses a link but I want you to help me look into it and make sure you let me know if you experience any more moments of clarity," Bruce demanded.

"Why do you want to help me all of a sudden?" I paused, meeting his gaze at last.

"You're not the only experiment of his. But you are his only child which makes you more interesting."