16

"So he is back," Bruce sighed turning back to his computer, "I saw reports of Joker related happenings but I thought it was a copycat."

"You mean he's already back to working in Gotham?" I questioned, feeling my chest constrict as my eyes went wide.

"Yes. But I do thank you for telling us the truth. Maybe you're as trustworthy as Dick led us to be," Bruce complimented.

"What are we going to do?" Dick spoke up, his arm retracting from around me as I stood on my own, "We can't just sit here and do nothing. It's the Joker for crying out loud."

"Sitting around and doing nothing is exactly what we're going to do," Bruce argued coldly, "We don't have a solid lead to his whereabouts yet so we need to plan accordingly."

"And that's where I'm helping," Tim chimed in, typing away like a mad-man on the bat computer, "I'm taking the areas of incidents and generalizing them to an area to an area where he likely would be."

"And we'll need you to be fully recovered by the time we launch our counter-attack," Bruce informed me, "You're the closest to him, and considering what you told us, you can get the closest without sustaining too much damage."

"Easier said then done," I sighed, gripping my arms tightly as I shifted my weight to one leg and the other.

"You'll be okay," Dick assured, "I promise. You got me looking out for you now."

"Dick, Nova, let us finish up here and we'll get back to you with any progress," Bruce dismissed, not turning his attention from the large screen in front of him.

"Got it," Dick acknowledged, glancing towards me with an unspoken question.

I nodded and he simply walked by my side, my arms dropping, as we made our way to the lift to get back up to the manor. I had to close my eyes as I regained all my composure and took a deep, steadying breath. Opening my eyes, a soft yawn escaped me. A hand slipped into my own and I whipped my eyes up to Dick, almost flinching away.

"You okay?" He asked, his concern ever present in his eyes as they locked with mine.

"I don't know," I admitted, with a weary sigh, "It seems so long ago like I lost everyone and everything but now I've got someone back and he tried to kill me."

"Well don't worry about him. You've got me now," Dick told me, "I'll be here for you if you ever need me."

I managed a weak smile, taking a step towards Dick to lean my head on his shoulder, he pulled his hand from mine and wrapped his arm around me. It felt nice to be held like this. But, at the same time, I felt myself falling asleep. Dick led me off the lift and guided me down the hall.

"Let's get you back to your room, alright," he urged gently.

I hummed my agreement and nodded. We got to my room and I found myself moving towards the bed before Dick started walking forward. I ached and I was tired. Overwhelmed by everything going on, I just wanted to sleep. I lay on the soft covers not bothering to attempt to cover myself. Dick sat beside me, watching me for a few moments. I wasn't bothered by it. In fact, it made me feel safe. Safer than I felt in a while.

"Whatcha thinking about?" I asked, turning to face him with curiosity.

"You," he admitted with a nervous smile painting his face, "Are you sure you're going to be okay?"

"I'll be fine. I just need a bit of rest," I sighed, covering another yawn with the back of my hand, "I'll be fine after."

Dick stood, nodding his head in understanding. The thought of him leaving me alone made my heart skip a beat; and not in a good way. I felt a rush of fear that was unusual for me and I reached out my arm regardless, sitting up quickly to grab his wrist and stop Dick from leaving. He turned back to me, surprised and then concerned. He probably saw it in my eyes.

"I'll stay until you fall asleep," he suggested, "Is that okay?"

"Please," I pleaded, letting go of his wrist and shifting my weight to the side to make room for him, "I don't want to be alone right now."

"I'm here," he replied, sitting back on the bed before laying back, facing me, "You'll be okay."

I fought the urge to settle myself against Dick. I enjoyed his company, as it brought me peace, but I didn't want to seem like I was desperate for his attention. I didn't want to seem like I was relying on him.

"You don't have to stay," I spoke up suddenly, even though I hated saying it.

"You asked so I'm staying," Dick argued, turning onto his back and looking at me with a soft smile.

I sighed despite the relief that flowed through my veins, and shook my head, returning the soft smile he gave. A silence fell and I curled up on my side, ignoring the dull twinge I felt on my side facing the ceiling. My eyes were heavy but refused to close. I could simply lay there, watching Dick, who now had his attention on the ceiling, arms behind his head as he settled down beside me. He seemed warm and relaxed.

"If you want to cuddle, just say so," he spoke up suddenly, making my heart stop for a second as I startled, "I like to think I'm a good cuddler."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, ignoring the red tinge that probably colored my face in that moment. Nevertheless, I sideled up to him, wrapping an arm around his torso as I settled my head in the crook of his neck. One of his arms settled around me, gently tracing circles on the small of my back. I immediately felt relaxed and sighed out deeply, enjoying the warmth I felt at being held. It was a feeling I missed, I realized. Something that made my heart ache with a longing that I hadn't realized I had in the first place. It made me feel, to put it bluntly, good and wanted.

"This is nice," I breathed, instantly regretting what I said after it had left my lips.

Dick chuckled softly, a chuckle that turned into lighthearted laughter. I chewed on the inside of my cheek, wanting to shrivel and disappear but, at the same time, fighting every instinct to give him an elbow in his ribs.

"Sorry," he chortled as he forced himself to calm down, "I shouldn't have laughed but that was sweet."

"Don't let it get to your head," I muttered, forcing myself to relax as he went back to tracing circles on my back, "This is a one time thing."

"Whatever you say, Nova," he sighed, leaning his head on mine.

It was with that that my eyes finally gave in to the heaviness that was weighing them down. I let out a content sigh and pressed myself closer to him, allowing the comfort I felt to overtake me completely as I fell into a peaceful darkness.