20

"What did you really keep me for?" I asked, crossing my arms, changing the subject.

"I wanted to apologize," Dick told me, his shoulders drooping.
"Well you did that," I told him, fixing a stony gaze on him, "Can I go now?"

"Can I finish?" he wondered rhetorically, "I have more I want to say about what I remember beca-"

"There's not much to know about our past if you really want to know. We only ever saw each other 3 times before my mother was killed and I wasn't allowed to go anywhere in Gotham after. I hardly remember our encounters as it is so it's pointless to think I can recount anything," I explained breathlessly.

"But I remember a lot, even if you don't," Dick told me, "I could help you remember."

"I won't be able to. I can't even remember a lot from my youth," I argued, "I can't explain it but it seems like I hardly remember anything from before she died. Only certain tidbits that I feel are significant. Like you and the bat. Like Joker. There's hardly anything I remember about my mother; except for what I see in pictures."

Dick paused, opening his mouth to speak but closing it as he took in my words. It was true, mostly. I remember her face but her voice has never come to me. I only know what Joker told me, which wasn't a whole lot of good. But I knew there was more to her. I squeezed my hands into fists wishing to know something but nothing came clear; it never did. I felt a hand take one of mine and I looked up to find Dick's concerned expression fixed on me, boring holes.

"Don't force anything. If you don't remember that's okay," Dick told me, "It's a little strange, honestly, but we'll figure out why. My theory is it may have to do with your healing."

"What do you mean?" I questioned, uncrossing my arms, which pulled them from Dick's hold and let them fall slack at my sides.

"You're wound was practically healed minus some scarring which is unusual for just anyone," he said, with a hint of wonder.

"I've always been like that," I shrugged with a nonchalant tilt to my head.

"Always?" he asked, raising his brow with a glint in his eyes that I couldn't quite place.

"As far as I can remember," I sighed, feeling my shoulders drop.

Dick hummed. It was a considerate sound and his eyes seemed to glimmer a deeper blue while he delved into his brain. I watched him curiously while also appreciating how his hair fell in gentle waves around his strong-jawed face, framing it nicely. Short curls fell just short of his eyes too bringing his bright eyes and fair skin into a greater focus as well.

"Nova?" He addressed suddenly, pulling me from my evaluation, "Are you alright?"

I felt my face grow warm and I stumbled over my words trying to make up an excuse for my staring. Dick went from confused to amused in a manner of two seconds and a lighthearted chortle of laughter fell past his lips, allowing me to look away and at the training floor.

"I think I'll go lay down for a while," I murmured, hoping he would hear, "I'm obviously not right in the head."

"I'd be surprised if you were to begin with," he joked, placing a gentle hand on my head, "besides, I was saying we should wait for Tim. He's the smarter of us."

"Wait, what's that supposed to mean; you'd be surprised?" I demanded, not catching on immediately.

"It means it makes sense with you," Dick replied simply, giving me a soft smile, "Anyway, why don't we spend some time for a bit?"

"Nah, I think it's better if I get some rest or something. Maybe try to get to know the manor?" I suggested, trying to get him off my tail.

"I'll give you an official tour," he returned anticipatory-like, "I didn't get to give you one before so it might be nice to do it now, don't you think?"

"But don't you have things to do? Like stop Blüdhaven criminals?" I inquired, monotonous.

"Damien has got my back. Besides, I was kind of told to keep an eye on you as it was," he admitted.

"So that's why," I breathed, nodding slowly, "not because you want to, but because you have to."

"Who said I didn't want to?" Dick wondered, looking around before focusing back on me, "'Cause I actually like being around you."

"Because you knew my mother?' I asked, feeling the frown appear before I could stop it.

"Because I want to get to know you again," Dick corrected, "that's fair isn't it."

"I suppose," I shrugged, "and it would serve as a chance to get to know you again."

"Exactly," he finalized, "so let's go find something to do."
"With or without your brothers?" I wondered immediately, as soon as it popped in my head.

"Preferably with," Dick answered, looping his arm through mine and leading me towards the lift, "you guys need to start getting along more too."