19

Far from it," Jason argued, getting to his feet with quick ease, "I'm just going easy on you."

"You know good and well I don't break easily," I stated, gaining a defensive stance, "so give me all you got."

Jason grew a mirthless grin and charged at me. Just as I was about to retaliate, the automated voice spoke up.

"Training exercise cancelled."

Jason and I both paused, looking over to the control panel. Dick was there, arms crossed and seemingly upset with something. His posture was demanding and gave off a strong air of impatience.

"I thought we agreed on no training until you're fully healed, Jay," he spoke up, his tone doing nothing to hide his displeased attitude.

"It's not even that bad," Jason argued, "I'm walking, aren't I?"

"Doesn't mean it's been cleared," Dick countered before turning his attention to me, "and you should know you shouldn't be training."

"I'm with Jason on this one," I spoke up, crossing my arms, "I'm walking and it's not that bad."

"When you're ready for training, you'll be told so by Bruce," Dick replied, shifting his weight from one side to the other, "we're going back up to the manor."

"Who died and made you the leader?" Jason and I both spoke up simultaneously.

"Just go," Dick sighed, nodding his head in the direction of the lift, "Nova, we need to talk."

With a scoff Jason left, shaking his head. I was left alone with Dick and I wasn't too keen on how he approached me. His posture held an air of forced relaxation but I saw how the irritation faded from his eyes.

"You did well when defending but you were reckless," he stated, "you could have reopened your wound."

"I'm fine," I told him, taking a step back, "Why do you care so much now, all of a sudden. What happened to the Dick that left after saying comforting me was wrong."

"Okay, I'm sorry. I was wrong for that," he apologized with a small sigh.

"That's an understatement," I breathed out with a disbelieving chuckle, "I'm honestly sorry for you if such a small thing is so detrimental to your relationship."

"You got the wrong idea, there's no relationship between Barb and I," Dick explained, "What we have is just.. Closer than most."

"Then why were you so worried about-"

"I was going to her for advice on you. Looking for anything about what you said about us knowing each other in the past," Dick cut me off.

"What? Did you really forget about our few but many encounters?" I asked, "Did you really forget when I was caught with my mom by you and the bat, you called me 'pasty smiles' because I was so pale."

"Look.. A lot happened in the time that Joker died," Dick told me, pulling his eyes from mine.

"Like what?" I asked, becoming irritated by his vague wording.

"Like getting shot in the head, I still haven't fully recovered from it," Dick told me, his posture faltering and seeming to signal a sort of discomfort or unsettling feeling.

"Shot in the head? By whom?" I wondered, my head tilting as I gazed at Dick I wonder.

"Just know that I've improved," he answered, "and I didn't remember immediately, but after I woke up, I kind of panicked because I did remember and I didn't know how to process it."

"So you made something up to get you out faster?" I finished with a partial air of offense.

"Essentially," Dick admitted, looking into my eyes again, "I'm an asshole, I know."

"More than that. At least you remember though," I shrugged it off, peeling my gaze away.

"Yeah, but there is another thing I realized," he spoke up.
I quirked my brow, lifting my head in miniscule acknowledgement of his words. I was caught off guard by how he reached and lifted my chin so my eyes were on his.

"I didn't call you pasty smiles all the time. There was a point where I compared you to something amazing," he recalled.

"An Eclipse," I remembered, managing a small smile before it faltered and I pulled away, "But that was a long time ago. I hardly remember that."

"Yet, you call yourself Eclipse when you wear your mask," Dick countered with amusement, letting his hand fall to his side.

"So what? It doesn't mean anything," I argued, shifting from one foot to the other, "You simply gave me a good idea and I used it."

"The idea was a compliment, Nova. Even if you kick my butt after the fact," he reminded me with a smile and a chortle of laughter.