21

Piper was on a rampage when Quinn got home. Changing from screaming at her mom to screaming at the housekeeper.

After three years, Quinn still didn't know the maid's name. She was an older woman who hid a lot to make sure she never had to deal with Piper, and she left every day at exactly five o'clock.

The cook was even older and named Debbie. She was a skilled cook, but Quinn hardly ever took the time to eat her food. That one stayed in the kitchen and left as soon as dinner was served.

Apparently, Piper's favorite pink diamond earrings were missing. She was blaming her mom for that, and she was blaming the housekeeper for not finding them.

Quinn grabbed an apple and sat on the table so she could watch the show.

Usually, Em couldn't be bothered to fight with her daughter, but today she was screaming nearly as loud. She'd just stated that she could borrow whatever she wanted to borrow. Then she went on to remind Piper who the parent was.

Which she's mentioned a few times in the five minutes Quinn's been home.

"Could have fooled me. I'm eighteen. I don't need a mother, anyway. What I need is for you to keep your hands off my crap."

"Why don't you keep your hands off my crap!"

She couldn't help it. She clapped. "Point one for stepmom."

"Shut up, Quinn." Got shouted from both of them.

"What the hell is going on in here?" Her father asked as he arrived.

She clapped again. "You literally couldn't have arrived at a better time. They were just deciding whether they can share or not."

"Shut up, Quinn!" This time, it was only Piper screaming at her because Em narrowed her eyes and turned away from all of them. A few moments later, they heard a door slam from upstairs.

"That will be all, Ruth." Her father never raised his voice. He never had to. Instinctively, people knew not to mess with him.

Ruth. Maybe she'd get around to remembering that.

"Father, you have to do something about__."

Quinn gagged, and she made sure the other two knew it.

Piper's look promised retribution. "That woman stole my pink diamond earrings. They were my absolute favorite. You know how much they meant to me."

Did he really? It was doubtful he could recall anything other than their names for all the time he spent with them. Though she supposed he was spending more time with Piper than she'd realized.

Piper's voice went from screeching to too sweet with a twinge of sad. "I was going to wear them to your big party coming up. They match my dress perfectly. Ryker is coming and I want to look nice for him and his father."

Oh, she had him. Ryker's father was on the city council.

"I looked everywhere. Even Ruth looked. For all I know, mom could have lost them on her last trip, and we'll never find them."

"Just go buy you some more."

"Father, why should I have to spend my allowance on something she lost? That's not fair."