15

It was like he knew she was at her breaking point because the next day, he never said a word to her. They lay there, only moving when they had to go to the restroom. Two times she woke up and both times there was something on the bedside table for her to eat, but she never touched it.

Every now and then she'd hear him throwing his football, but he didn't talk to her, and she didn't turn over to look at him.

The next morning, he must have reached his breaking point because he ordered her out of bed, and he pulled a shirt down over her head.

"Everyone is gone and you're eating today, if I have to feed you myself."

"It's like I don't know you at all. You're supposed to be quiet and__."

"Blind?"

"Yes."

He pulled her into the kitchen and pushed her into a chair. He went straight to cooking.

It had been a long time since she'd been in any part of his house other than his room. In fact, since she couldn't remember any of the decor, there was a good chance she never had.

For a while, she watched him cook. He knew where everything was, and he seemed comfortable in the kitchen. Instead of just throwing something in the microwave, he was chopping things and going all out.

It was nice to watch him work.

He still didn't have a shirt on, and it was easy to see that he must go without one often because he was tanned. He wasn't as big as Theo, but he definitely worked out.

Ever since Em and Piper moved in, they've had a cook and a maid or two, but it was easy to see that Noah's family didn't. The kitchen was clean, but the rest of what she could see was cluttered with books, mail, and boy things.

"You said Jake tried to hurt himself two years ago. That's why you asked me to start dating you, isn't it? It had nothing to do with making our fathers happy."

He stilled for a moment, then he went back to whipping whatever he was whipping.

"We shouldn't have even been at that party. Jake was still in the hospital. I didn't plan to ask you to start dating me. It just happened. I always wondered how in the hell I got you to say yes."

"I don't know. Piper likes to keep dad happy. I guess I was thinking about that. She's going to be so pissed I haven't been at her beck and call. Has she tried to call here?"

"The phones are still off, and I couldn't give less of a fuck." He turned with his whisk in his hand. "Why are you so scared of her?"

"It's just easier that way."

"Is it? I think you've been barely going through the motions for so long that it was easy for her to come in and start pulling your strings. It saved you the work. Saved you from having to think on your own." He went back to cooking.

"I can't stay here forever."

He sighed. "I know."

"And you can't fix me."

He stilled. For longer this time.

"I don't want to be fixed."

She went back to watching him cook in silence. By the time he was done, and he laid a plate down in front of her, she was impressed.