𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟐

ASUNA STARED BLANKLY, her whole body unmoving as she stood before the rock

ASUNA STARED BLANKLY, her whole body unmoving as she stood before the rock. The headstone, much corroded yet still uncovered by the green sprouts, sat at her feet. In her left hand was the handle of the oil paper umbrella which she had shielding her from the sun. The other held a basket, one that was full of beautiful blooming flowers. She looked at the basket bitterly, her fingers gripping harshly around the handle.

Asuna was about to throw the basket at the gravestone when she suddenly felt a hand on hers. She had sensed a human nearby, but his speed threw her off. Instantly, she realized this was no average human. To confirm her suspicions, the human, presumably male, was a demon slayer.

She quickly regained her composure, turning to face the newcomer.

"Can I help you?"

As she did, she was met with a tall black-haired male. He had piercing blue eyes and a stoic expression on his face. The haori hanging along his torso was a mismatched one with red on one half and a green-yellow cubic effect on the other.

"Throwing flowers at them won't bring them back," he spoke, voice low.

Asuna bit back the remark that nearly escaped her lips, but couldn't keep the incredulous look from appearing.

"Is that so?" she muttered, "Worked for me."

The male blinked at her, observing the features of the weird woman before him. She was wearing heavy robes over what looked to be a kimono. She was also carrying a black umbrella over her head, as she stared down at the headstone with a vacant look. Before he realized it, he was standing beside her, stopping her from tossing the basket of blue flowers at the grave.

He had been given the task of investigating rumors of demonic activity near the towns along the mountains. It just so happened he stopped for a small break at a food stall when he noticed the white-haired woman lingering near the graveyard. Originally he wasn't interested, only noticing her when he saw her eye seemingly glow a bright red. However, the next second he blinked, it was a normal pink color.

The flower basket he had seen her carrying was suddenly in the air, as if she were going to throw it at the floor. It was then that he found himself stopping her, grabbing her wrist to prevent her from destroying the basket she seemed to have tenderly brought to the gravesite.

"Can I help you?"

He glanced at her, noticing the vacant look in her eyes and the tensing of her whole body.

"Throwing flowers at them won't bring them back," he decided to say, observing the woman before him. He heard her mumble something in return, but couldn't quite catch her words. He looked down at his hands, the meal he had bought from the vendor still hot in his hands.

He then held it out to her, "Eating alongside the grave would be better."

The white-haired woman blinked at the gesture, before a soft laugh left her lips.