Chapter Fifteen: Liar's dice

Start from the beginning

"I have no interest in drinking with your guards."

"It's not just my guards who are playing! I've convinced Arden and Fenella to play."

Callidus was surprised by the combination of participants. "Arden is on duty. What if I were to call on him?"

"You were missing all morning. Every time I passed by your study; the poor man was just standing there at the door."

"That is his duty." Callidus replied, before he frowned, suspicion lacing his features, "And why were you passing by my study so often?"

"I was just looking to chat. But come on, Cal. Our friends are waiting for us to join the game."

"Our friends?" Callidus echoed, taken aback.

"Come on, Cal!" Jasper pleaded, and Callidus was baffled to see him lace his hands together in a begging position. "Please Cal! Please! It'll be fun!"

Callidus couldn't help but be intrigued by Jasper's reaction. People had begged him before, but it was usually for something much more significant, like mercy or forgiveness. It struck him as odd that someone would be so insistent about a simple game.

"Was this, perhaps, part of a bet that you lost?" Callidus inquired, raising an eyebrow, trying to understand the reason behind Jasper's insistence.

Jasper's lips thinned, and he averted his gaze, seemingly caught off guard. "Ah, haha, I knew you'd be good at the game. You caught me, and you haven't even played yet."

A small, confused smile involuntarily rose to Callidus's lips, his mind still preoccupied with the missing folder. He wondered if Jasper could have taken it and was now acting friendly to divert suspicion. It seemed unlikely.

(But not impossible.)

"Very well," Callidus found himself saying, his curiosity winning over his caution. "I shall join you for one game."

Jasper's face lit up as he clapped his hands together and grinned, clearly delighted to have won this small victory.

"Excellent! The others will be thrilled to see you!"

The others were, in fact, not thrilled to see the future king enter the room.

The Snapdragon Sitting Room, a part of the palace he rarely visited, appeared crowded with couches and tufted settees lining the walls, facing a window that offered a view of the fierce storm outside. A large round table dominated the center of the room, surrounded by mismatched chairs that had been hastily pulled together.

Sitting at the table were Countess Fenella, Arden, and several of Jasper's 'friends', engaged in a game with drinks and dice scattered on the wooden surface. The rest of the room was filled with individuals whom Callidus did not recognize, but their attire indicated that they were likely palace staff or guards.

As Callidus stepped into the sitting room, he could feel the sudden shift in the atmosphere. The room fell into a nervous, stunned silence, the laughter Callidus had heard from the hallway immediately vanishing. Faces showed a mix of surprise, apprehension, and nervousness, making it clear that his unexpected presence was not well-received.

When Callidus entered, Arden immediately rose from the table, setting off a chain reaction as the others awkwardly followed suit, dipping into uncomfortable bows or curtseys as a sign of respect to the future king.

The tension in the room was palpable, and it was evident that his presence had disrupted their gathering.

"Rise," Callidus commanded, and the room slowly shifted as everyone rose from their stiff displays of deference.