CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Nine Months LaterJune 9th, 2005Christina's POV

Nine Months Later
June 9th, 2005
Christina's POV

She steered the wheel as carefully but also as casually as she could, turning onto Columbus Avenue, a little surprised at how quiet her little sister was in the passenger seat. She was tempted to ask her what could have been wrong, but she didn't want to bother her under any circumstances even if she wouldn't get mad. Besides, the twenty-two-year-old woman wasn't in the mood to push anybody's buttons, since a sliver of her timid nature remained from the year prior even though she was almost entirely recovered now.

Christina Johnson was tempted to twirl a strand of her now-again blonde hair that was slowly growing out and was down to the middle of her back, but she managed to keep her eyes on the road for the thirty seconds she drove until reaching her apartment complex, West 96th.

"Oh, good, I love being at your mansion of an apartment," Sidney mumbled sarcastically, although it was with a playful smirk.

Christina looked towards her with both eyebrows raised as she tried not to giggle; she briefly took notice of her sister's now shorter brown hair reaching her shoulders now. "It's not a mansion, far from it," she said jokingly. "We both wish it was one, though, right?"

"Yeah, obviously," Sidney said with a chuckle, her feet resting on the dashboard before falling quiet again, chewing on her fingernails rather nervously but inconspicuously.

Christina wasn't about to be fooled, however, as she pulled into the parking lot; she said nothing yet, not wanting to piss Sidney off or anything, but she was aware that something was up with her sister. After enduring therapy for several months before she was let off of it in May, she was able to pick up certain signs that someone was thinking about something or if a topic was upsetting or confusing them. Her brand new knowledge of mental health made her want to reach out and help... when they were inside, of course.

Parking the Volkswagen, the blonde opened her door and stepped out. She was relieved that it was way easier to operate her prosthetic arm now compared to nearly a year ago when she had initially lost her left arm. Sometimes, she preferred to walk around her apartment and even her office at work without the arm, but today was an exception. In fact, she placed the handle of her purse on the metal arm before closing the driver's side door.

Sidney opened the passenger door and climbed out of the vehicle, clutching her purple jacket closer to her as a slightly chilly gust of wind blew through the air. She chose to be a little quieter than normal today, especially since she was preparing herself to tell her sister something very important; she knew Christina wouldn't judge her for what she would be bringing up, but she was still rather scared to bring it up, much like she was worried to say anything around her despite how happy the older woman was now.