CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

August 14th, 200412:37 P

August 14th, 2004
12:37 P.M.

"Now, why do I have to go there again?" asked Sidney in an immensely annoyed tone, glancing over at her older sister from the passenger seat.

"Because, although I trust you, you're still not old enough to stay at my apartment by yourself," Christina simply answered as she drove the Volkswagen down the last street she wanted to be on.

"Chris, come on, I'm almost twelve," Sidney pleaded with the brunette, sighing heavily.

"My point exactly," the older sibling mumbled with a slight roll of her eyes. "And look, I hate that I have to bring you here... they're the last people I want watching you but I have no other choice. Besides, you're kind of obligated to be here on weekends."

"I know... but the only reason I want to be there is because I'll get to spend time with Aidan," Sidney emphasized with a small glare in her sister's direction.

"I'm aware of that," the brunette said with a ragged sigh. "And I want to see him as well."

The two sisters were making their way to Sidney's home so that she could spend time with her family – her mother and brother more than her father, as she wasn't on speaking terms with Michael at the moment (she stopped talking to him four months ago). While the young girl wasn't looking forward to going over there as everything would be incredibly awkward the moment she walked into that house, she understood why she couldn't be at Christina's apartment alone despite protesting.

The older sibling had to get ready to attend Mary Jane's play later that night and she was also having to prepare herself for seeing Peter there. Christina often denied that it was a date they were going on, but Sidney knew better. The young girl had been very observant of her sister's body language and facial expressions every time she brought up the topic.

And, while the lovey-dovey shit kind of grossed her out (Sounds too straight to me, Sidney thought), she still hoped that things would work out between Christina and Peter and that they would just make out already. It was honestly getting rather frustrating to witness them about to make a move and then chickening out at the last moment; it was understandable when her sister was the one that got scared, but Sidney was starting to grow suspicious as to why Peter didn't want to just ask the woman out.

Is he really that afraid? she thought to herself. Was Peter really that anxious that Christina would turn him down, despite the brunette making it really fucking obvious that she was head over heels for him (although she said it was 'just a crush')?

Nevertheless, Sidney was hoping that Christina would have a good time seeing the play... and that nothing would happen to her, as she was often paranoid for her safety. She never admitted it, though.