(04/07/2020) (part 1)

04/07/2020

Dear Diary,

I don't know how to start this... I'm so scared right now. Tonight is the night when everything is gonna change, and it's freaking me out. They keep saying we gotta be prepared, but how can anyone be ready for something like this? We're holed up in our cabin near the lake, far away from everyone else. But I'm not sure if that's gonna save us from swapping with someone.

the Government/scientists are saying 95% of the world will swap, and that means out of the 40 kids in my class, only 2 won't swap. I hope it is me and my identical twin brother, Sam, are the two who don't swap. But what if we do? Who am I gonna become? What if I turn into an old man or even a girl? That would be crazy, and make's me feel scared of who I am going to be?

Mom's trying to be positive, but I can see it in her eyes; she's scared too. She made us remember the phone numbers of both our house in New York and this cabin, just in case we swap and can't find each other . And I think non if us wants to be stuck in someone else's body, unable to get back to each other.

And what is coursing this to happen? Well dad says it's all because of some star far away that's blowing up, and that's causing a pulse to hit Earth, making us swap bodies. It sounds like something out of a sci-fi movie, but Dad's smart, so he must be right, right?

and sam and I heard on the radio that there's a 50% chance you'll swap with the person closest to you if you do swap. So we're gonna stick together, really close, so maybe we'll end up in each other's bodies. At least that way, we'll still be somewhat the same. But Sam has to wear glasses all the time so he can see better, and well if I do get stuck as him im not looking forward to have to wear glasses!

But looking out of the window in my room, I'm so glad we're out here away from the city. I've seen all the chaos on TV – riots, people robbing stores, and hurting each other. Some people are even blaming the government for what's gonna happen. But Dad says they are idiots., and it's not the government's fault; it's just the star thing he said before.

And there is only two hours left until it's supposed to happen, and I'm freaking out. Mom wants us to spend this time together, just in case. She thinks some people might do dangerous stuff when the swapping happens, with people not believing that it is going to actually happen, like driving or being up high near a ledge or something like that? I can tell she's as scared as me, even though she's trying not to show it, and put on a brave face, saying we are all going to be fine, and we will be together in a matter of days.

But im not too sure if it will be that... easy what if one of us swaps with someone from a different contrary on the other side of the world of something?

So I don't know if I'll ever write in you again, if I get sent somewhere far away? This might be the last time I write in this diary.

If I find this diary years from now, I hope things are okay. And if I'm reading this, please remember this thing hidden under my bedroom floor!

Luke, 14-year-old boy signing off, maybe for the last time...

Ps here is a pic of me, to remind me what i looked like if i find this..