Chapter Thirteen: Evermore

(Y/N) got downstairs where she was greeted by the coathanger. It bowed to her before lowering slightly, showing that it was sad that she was leaving. But soon the doors opened and (Y/N) made her way out, Mrs. Potts watching from the stairs. Back in the West Wing, Erik had put on a cloak and walked over to the rose. There was so little time left now. Unaware of what had happened, Cogsworth, Lumiere, and Plumette came to visit him. Mrs. Potts had joined then but hadn't yet said what she saw. 

"Well, Master, I have had my doubts, but everything is moving like clockwork. True love really does win the day!" Cogsworth said, actually happy about this progress

"I let her go," Erik finally revealed

"You what?"

"Master, how could you do that?" Lumiere asked him

"I had to," Erik explained simply.

"But why?" Cogsworth asked

"Because he loves her," Mrs. Potts explained

"Then why are we not human?" Lumiere asked

"Because she doesn't love him," Cogsworth said, "And now, it's too late."

"But she might still come back," Plumette said, having hope that she would

"No," Erik shook his head, "I set her free. I'm sorry I couldn't do the same for all of you. Now, go. Our time is almost past."

Saddened by this news, everyone left the East Wing. Erik meant what he said. He wanted to free his staff from the curse he placed upon them due to his own arrogance. But, if (Y/N) didn't return the feelings, there was no way to break the curse. The rose was on its last petal. There was no trying again. Erik would have to live like this all alone for the rest of his life. But at least he was able to learn something from all this

'I was the one who had it all. I was the master of my fate. I never needed anybody in my life. I learned the truth too late. I'll never shake away the pain. I close my eyes but she's still there. I let her steal into my melancholy heart. It's more than I can bear,' Erik walked out to his balcony to watch (Y/N) leave with Philippe.

'Now I know she'll never leave me even as she runs away,' Erik made his way up the tower, 'She will still torment me, calm me, hurt me, move me, come what may. Wasting in my lonely tower. Waiting by an open door. I'll fool myself she'll walk right in and be with me for evermore.'

Erik continued making his way up the tower, 'I rage against the trials of love. I curse the fading of the light. Though she's already flown so far beyond my reach, she's never out of sight! Now I know she'll never leave me, even as she fades from view. She will still inspire me, be a part of everything I do. Wasting in my lonely tower. Waiting by an open door.'

Erik finally made it to the highest tower to watch (Y/N) leave.

'I'll fool myself she'll walk right in and as the long, long nights begin I'll think of all that might have been waiting here for evermore!'

(Y/N) raced out of the castle ground on Philippe's back. Meanwhile, back in the village, a horse and carriage arrived to pick up Maurice. Gaston was going to send him to a mental asylum. While his ravings of a Phantom was one thing, Gaston had convinced the villagers that it was beyond that to accuse him of murder. And the villagers believed him because he was famous in the town next to (Y/N). Pere argued that Maurice needed to go to a hospital for the injuries the three men had done to him, not to an asylum. Maurice was not mad, yet Gaston had convinced someone that he was.

Maurice was shoved into the back of the carriage, ready to be sent off. But Gaston had one last thing to say. Gaston informed him that he wouldn't last a week in a madhouse. But all this could be avoided if Maurice gave Gaston his blessing to marry (Y/N). Maurice had no plans to do that. So, Gaston closed the doors, ordering the coachman to take Maurice away. But they didn't go far. (Y/N) had made it back to the village in time to stop the carriage from leaving. (Y/N) rode in front of the carriage, making the horses stop before they could hit her. Dismounting Philippe, (Y/N) went to the back of the carriage to see her father. Maurice was so relieved to see that his daughter was alright.

"Let him out!" (Y/N) demanded the coachman, "He's hurt."

"We can't do that, miss," the coachman informed her, "But we'll take very good care of him."

"My father's not crazy," (Y/N) turned to Gaston, "Gaston, tell him!"

"You know how loyal I am to your family but your father's been making some unbelievable claims," Gaston told her

"It's true, (Y/N)," Jean spoke up, "He's been raving about a Phantom in a castle!

"I've just come from the castle and there is a Phantom!" (Y/N) told him

"You'd say anything to set him free," Gaston said, "Your word is hardly proof."

"You want proof?" (Y/N) turned to the mirror she had taken with her, "Show me the Phantom!"

Once Erik was visible on the glass, (Y/N) showed the villagers the Phantom Maurice had been telling them about. Everyone gasped at the sight of him. Yet the only ones who didn't flinch were Pere and Lefou. But everyone else thought the Phantom was hideous! But now they knew the Phantom was indeed real.

"There's your proof," (Y/N) declared.

"This is sorcery!" Gaston took the mirror from her, "Look at this Phantom! Look at his face! His eyes!"

"No. Don't be afraid! He's gentle and kind."

The villagers mumbled among themselves at this unbelievable claim.

"The monster has her under his spell," Gaston declared, "If I didn't know better, I'd say she even cared for him!"

"He's not a monster, Gaston. You are!" (Y/N) sneered, "The Phantom wouldn't hurt anyone."

"I've heard of the effects of dark magic but I've never before seen it with my own eyes! This is a threat to our very existence!"

Everyone but Pere, Lefou, and Agathe cheered in agreement. 

"We can't have her running off to warn the Phantom. Lock her up too," Gaston told his goons

(Y/N) protested but she was dragged into the back of the carriage with Maurice.