Chapter Twelve: The Beauty and the Phantom

Meanwhile, back at the castle, Erik was getting ready for tonight. He had asked a question that had changed everything. He was having a bath, explaining everything to Lumiere, Mrs. Potts, Cogsworth, and Plumette.

"Well, I saw her in the ballroom and said, 'You're making everything look so beautiful. We should have a dance tonight'. I never imagined she'd actually say yes! What was I thinking?"

"No, Master. It's perfect!" Lumiere said, "The rose has only four petals left which means tonight you can tell her how you feel."

Erik stood up from behind the curtain, "I feel like a fool. She will never love me."

"Do not be discouraged. She is the one."

"I wish you'd stop saying that!" Erik put on his dressing gown and sat in front of his dressing table, "There is no one."

"You care for her, don't you?" Erik nodded at Lumiere's question, "Well, then, woo her with beautiful music and romantic candlelight."

"Yes, and when the moment's just right..." Plumette giggled and flapped her feathers a little

"Well, how will I know?" Erik asked 

"You will feel slightly nauseous," Cogsworth told him

"Don't worry, Master. You'll do fine," Lumiere assured Erik

"Just stop being so nervous and tell (Y/N) how you feel," Mrs. Potts told him, "Because if you don't, I promise you'll be drinking cold tea for the rest of your days!"

"In the dark," Lumiere added

"Covered in dust," Plumette also added

"Dark and very, very dusty.

Lumiere tapped his candles together, telling everyone it was time to prepare Erik for his dance with (Y/N). They combed and trimmed whatever hair Erik had left while Mrs. Potts helped to clean off Erik's dirty nails. And a coathanger brushed Erik's teeth just to be sure. As they worked, Plumette put on some powdered paint and put a white, powered wing on his head. They turned Erik to the mirror to see his new look. But it didn't look right at all. Seeing how this idea didn't work out too well, Lumiere was ready to try and fix it.

Meanwhile, in the East Wing, De Garderobe had been dressing (Y/N) in a big, yellow ballgown with a golden necklace, vine earrings that wrapped around her ear, and some gold leaves to keep her hair in a bun. But, even so, De Garderobe felt as if something was still missing. So, she had the golden vines hanging around the room turn into flakes and put themselves onto (Y/N)'s dress as some final, shining details. Now that she was ready, (Y/N) stood at the stairs of the East Wing, waiting for Erik.

When Erik arrived, he wore a long, red tailcoat with black, knee-high boots and black leather gloves. He wore no mask or anything to hide his deformity. He was going as he was. Just better dressed. As he saw (Y/N), he was starting to feel his nervousness go away. Besides, he was about to dance with the most beautiful girl he had ever met in years. They both made their way down the stairs to meet each other. When they did, the two held hands as Erik led them down the final set of stairs. 

'Tale as old as time. True as it can be. Barely even friends, then somebody bends unexpectedly.'

The two made it to the ballroom. Everything had been cleaned and shined for the two and every candle in the room had been lit.

'Just a little change. Small to say the least. Both a little scared. Neither one prepared. Beauty and the Phantom.'

As they made their way into the center of the ballroom, (Y/N) curtsied to Erik while he bowed to her. Standing upright, (Y/N) offered her hands to Erik. He looked at her rather surprised that (Y/N) was the one wanting to make the first move. Yet he didn't argue. He took (Y/N)'s hands and they began to dance.

'Ever just the same. Ever a surprise. Ever as before. Ever just as sure as the sun will rise! Tale as old as time. Tune as old as song. Bittersweet and strange. Finding you can change. Learning you were wrong.'

As they danced, the lights suddenly dimmed as Erik pulled (Y/N) close to him, slowly putting her in a dip before bringing her back up and lifting her, spinning her around.

'Certain as the sun. Rising in the east. Tale as old as time. Song as old as rhyme. Beauty and the Phantom.'

As their dance ended, Erik and (Y/N) held hands as they made their way to the balcony.

'Tale as old as time. Song as old as rhyme. Beauty and the Phantom.'

With arms linked, they both walked out onto the balcony where they looked out into the night sky. Erik let out a breath as he finally took in the dance the two just shared

"I haven't danced in years," Erik said out of breath as (Y/N) laughed a little, "I'd almost forgotten the feeling."

Erik caught his breath as he tried to think on what to say next. 

"It's foolish, I suppose... for a creature like me to hope... that one day he might earn your affection," Erik said, turning to (Y/N)

(Y/N) turned to him, "I don't know."

"Really? You think you could be happy here?"

(Y/N) hesitated for a moment, making Erik slightly worried as to what (Y/N) might say.

"Can anybody be happy if they aren't free?" (Y/N) asked Erik.

Erik didn't know how to respond, knowing that the only thing in the way of them loving each other may be (Y/N)'s lack of freedom. Perhaps even his too. Both were trapped in this castle for two different reasons. Both reasons were just as bad. But Erik knew he made a mistake by trying to trap (Y/N) here. The two stayed quiet, looking out to the night sky.

"My father taught me to dance," (Y/N) broke the silence, "I used to step on his toes a lot."

"You must miss him," Erik commented, no longer feeling hate towards her father.

"Very much."

Erik then got an idea, "Would you like to see him?"

Taking her to the West Wing, Erik showed her the mirror he would use to see anything he wanted. This would also show (Y/N) her father at this very moment. Giving her the mirror, (Y/N) asked it to see her father. Only to see a sight she never expected to see. Maurice was being thrown around by the three men Gaston had called forward. But they seemed to be dragging him somewhere as they weren't in the tavern

"Papa! What are they doing to him? He... He's in trouble!"

Seeing the scene, Erik knew what choice he had to make, "Then you must go to him."

(Y/N) looked at him in surprise, "What did you say?"

"You must go to him. No time to waste."

Erik didn't know if this was the right or wrong choice, but he didn't want to be responsible for forcing (Y/N) to stay in the castle while her father was being hurt or worse. While he wouldn't do it for his own father, he knew how much (Y/N) cared for hers. And it would be cruel of him not to let (Y/N) go to help her father. Realising that he was letting her go, (Y/N) tried to hand the mirror back. But Erik stopped her.

"No... you keep it with you. Then you'll always have a way to look back on me," Erik told her

"Thank you."

(Y/N) started to walk away. But she was still unsure that Erik was letting her leave. But, when he showed no signs of stopping her, she started to rush off, knowing that her father needed her now. Erik watched her leave with pain in his eyes. He didn't want to let her go. But he also knew that this was the best choice. And he wasn't going to force himself to change his mind.