Chapter Eight: The West Wing

After dinner, Mrs. Potts was leading (Y/N) back to the stairs to her room. But (Y/N) had to ask her something.

"I don't understand why you're all being so kind to me," (Y/N) spoke up, "Surely, you're as trapped here as I am. Don't you ever want to escape?"

"Master Erik is not as terrible as he appears," Mrs. Potts explained, "Somewhere deep in his soul, there's a Prince... of a fellow who just waiting to be set free."

This was (Y/N)'s first time hearing the Phantom's name. But she couldn't think about that now. Because there was something else in the castle which had grasped her curiosity.

"Lumiere mentioned something about the west wing," (Y/N) mentioned, looking up the stairs

"Never you mind about that," Mrs. Potts quickly dismissed, "Off to bed with you, poppet."

"Good night," (Y/N) made her way up the stairs

"Nighty-night," Mrs. Potts made her way off to the kitchen

(Y/N) continued up the stairs, seemingly going back to her room. But, once Mrs. Potts left, (Y/N) headed straight towards the West Wing. (Y/N) stuck to the shadows as she climbed up the crumbling staircase towards the West Wing. She soon comes to a massive wooden door, left slightly ajar. Opening the door, (Y/N) walked in to see furniture lying in rubble, and curtains shredded, evidence of the Phantom's temper. Wary, (Y/N) investigates when her eyes stop at a Royal Portrait. On the portrait were a King, a Queen, and a young Prince. The Prince's face had been slashed with the only surviving part being his hazel eyes.

And the King's face had had the same fate, albeit just the left side destroyed. The only surviving member of the portrait was the Queen. Moving on, (Y/N) moved past a large four-poster bed, its faded coverlet gray with dust, like no one has slept in it for years. As (Y/N) continued to explore the West Wing, she found herself close to the balcony, where the rose was being kept under a glass case. Mesmerized, (Y/N) approached the rose. She could see that the rose appeared to be dying, its petals fallen old and rotting below it. Reaching out to touch the glass, a shadow cuts across (Y/N)'s face.

Rushing over, Erik ran over to (Y/N) and the rose, thinking that she might've touched it, he desperately asked what (Y/N) had done to it. (Y/N) explained that she hadn't done anything but Erik wasn't done with her. Blaming her for almost damning everyone in the castle, he yelled at her to leave. (Y/N) complied, running out of the West Wing. Back downstairs, Lumiere and Cogsworth were playing chess on an upper landing, with the footstool dog, Froufrou resting between them. Lumiere had gotten a checkmate again to which Cogsworth claimed that Lumiere cheated again. But their attention was taken away from their game when they saw (Y/N) running down the stairs.

Lumiere asked where she was going to which she replied that she was leaving. Cogsworth ordered her to stop, blowing a whistle to alert Froufrou to chase after her and gain the attention of everyone else. Froufrou jumped up and starts after (Y/N). (Y/N) barreled down the main staircase, Froufrou in close pursuit. Froufrou stopped in front of (Y/N), stopping her from going down the stairs. But Froufrou thought it was playtime, which earned him a scolding from Cogsworth and Mrs. Potts. Froufrou then ran out of a little door, revealing a way out after all the doors and windows had been barred shut.

(Y/N) ran towards the now open door, able to fit through the door. Lumiere called out to (Y/N), saying that it was too dangerous to go outside. But (Y/N) was already long gone. (Y/N) climbed onto Philippe's back and started to ride off into the forest. The two race through the woods, (Y/N) looking back to see if Erik followed her. But all she sees is wolves chasing her and Philippe. She and Philippe continue to race through the forest, hoping to escape the hungry wolves. But a few appeared in front of them, stopping (Y/N) and Philippe from going any further. But, Philippe turns a different way, hoping to escape the wolves. But the wolves only follow, not ready to let their prey escape again.

But Philippe slows down as he reaches a frozen lake, unable to steadily keep on running on the slippery ice. Philippe reared twice, allowing one of the wolves to jump on his back and get to (Y/N). But she jumps off and grabs a nearby branch, using it to fight off the wolves. (Y/N) swung her branch as the wolves lunge at her, their bared teeth like razors. She beat them away. As she turns to confront another, it bites the branch clean out of her hands. Behind her, a wolf who was obviously the alpha stares at her, preparing to pounce and claim his meal. But, just as it does, something else bats it out of the way. It was Erik, armed with only his sword. Another wolf charged at him, knocking him back and knocking the sword from his hand.

Erik grabbed the wolf by the next, aiming to not get bitten by the beast. One bit at his leg but Erik took his lasso that he also had on him to catch it by the neck and swing it away from him. He also threw the one he had grabbed by the neck. Now stood up, Erik grabbed his sword as more wolves ran to attack him. It was the alpha. The alpha wolf jumped onto Erik's back and went for his neck. Erik stood up, taking the alpha by its mouth and throwing it across the frozen lake. Erik stood upright, trying to look big and scare the alpha away. Erik yelled out, scaring the alpha wolf who retreated.

The other wolves followed. As the wolves fled, Erik turned back to (Y/N) to ensure she was alright. (Y/N) was unharmed, staying near Philippe, still scared by Erik. Tired and in pain, Erik dropped his sword and collapsed to the ground. Taking the opportunity, (Y/N) was ready to mount Philippe and ride off. But she hesitated. Erik had just saved her life. Despite being angry at her just a few minutes ago, he actually came to save her. Maybe Mrs. Potts was right. Maybe he wasn't as terrible as he appeared. Giving him a chance, (Y/N) took off her cloak and put it over Erik. Feeling the cloak on him, Erik looked up at (Y/N) surprised. 

"You have to help me..." Belle whispered to him, "You have to stand..."

Getting the strength to do so, Erik stood up and, with help from (Y/N), got on Philippe's back. (Y/N) guided the two back to the castle. Back where it was safe.