Chapter Nine: Days In The Sun

In another part of the forest, Maurice was still trying to lead Gaston and Lefou to the castle But Maurice couldn't remember which way he had gone the first time. Hearing the wolves howl in the distance, Maurice was certain he was going the right way.

"No! I'm sure this is the way," Maurice said, confident, "Do you hear those wolves? That means we're getting very close to the castle."

"Look, enough is enough," Gaston said, really starting to believe that everything Maurice has been saying was complete nonsense, "We have to turn back."

Maurice stopped their wagon when he was sure they came across the tree which had been struck by lightning. But it had fixed itself somehow. Maurice still believed that they were going the right way. Seeing that Maurice might just be crazy, Lefou asked Gaston if he really wanted to marry into (Y/N)'s family. But, alas, Maurice was trying to remember what happened the night he met the Phantom and tried to point them in the direction of where the castle may be. But Gaston had enough by this point.

"I am done playing this game of yours," Gaston said stepping off the wagon, "Where is (Y/N)?"

"The Phantom took her and she..."

"There are no such things as Phantoms," Gaston interrupted Maurice, "Or talking teacups. Or magic! But there are wolves, frostbite, and starvation!"

Seeing that Gaston was looking his cool, Lefou stood up, getting Gaston to calm down. Gaston took a deep breath and turned back to Maurice with a smile

"So, why don't we just turn around? Go back to Villeneuve," Gaston suggested, "I'm sure (Y/N) is at home, cooking up a lovely dinner."

"If you think I've made all this up then why did you offer to help?" Maurice asked him

"Because I want to marry your daughter!" Maurice looked at Gaston, surprised at his confession, "Now, let's go home."

"(Y/N) is not at home. She is with the..."

Gaston took Maurice by the collar, "You say Phantom one more time, I will feed you to the wolves!"

Lefou left the wagon, taking Gaston off of Maurice. Lefou got Gaston to calm down, making him think back to the war with all the blood, explosions, and the widows. This calmed Gaston down and he turned back to Maurice.

"Maurice! Please, forgive me, old bean," Gaston apologised, "That's no way to talk to my future father-in-law, now, is it?"

"Future father-in-law?" Maurice asked

"Yeah!"

"You will never marry my daughter."

Enraged by this, Gaston punched Maurice, knocking him out. Lefou saw that coming from a mile away. Not wanting him to interfere further, Gaston tied Maurice up, placing him near a tree. Since Maurice wouldn't give Gaston his blessing to marry (Y/N), he was leaving her father to the wolves, hoping that they would finish the job. With no father around, (Y/N) would only have Gaston left to take care of her.

Lefou was starting to think that this whole plan of Gaston's was a bit extreme, even asking if he would consider a much less gruesome alternative. But Gaston just asked if he was coming back to the village with him. Lefou just joined Gaston back onto the wagon, leaving Maurice to the wolves. Meanwhile, back at the castle, (Y/N) was trying to treat Erik's wounds. But he wasn't taking it well. Just as (Y/N) dabbed a wet cloth onto one of his wounds, he yelled out in pain.

"That hurts!" Erik told her.

"If you held still, it wouldn't hurt as much," (Y/N) argued

"Well, if you hadn't run away, none of this would have happened!"