Thirty-Five

"Are you sure you don't want any help?" Abdur Rehman asked, leaning against the breakfast table, looking at all the ingredients his wife had spread out

"Yes," Rafa beamed, adding a measured cup of cocoa powder to the all purpose flour and baking powder mix. "I think I am making a lot, you can maybe drop some cookies for Yahya?"

Hearing that, he groaned, "You know how I don't like to step out on Sundays, Rafa. If it's not with you-"

"Abdur Rehman, you should be socially active-" She reminded him good-naturedly. Scanning the counter for the small jar of cornflour, remembering how adding a spoonful of it will make the cookie crisp on the outside and chewy from the inside.

"Can you bring me the cornflour from the pantry?" She smiled, wiping her cheek with the back of her palm.

Making double chocolate cookies to satisfy her sweet cravings was not on her cart but the cravings had hit her so hard that she couldn't deny her nafs. Abdur Rehman had insisted that he would pick them up but she was feeling bored, not doing any house chores. It was not intentional though, initially when she came back home, she wanted to help out Tayyaba in the kitchen or make Abdur Rehman breakfast but the smell of any savory dish made her nauseous. She hoped her love for baking and the rich aroma of butter and chocolate would not be a threat.

"I am, jaan," he replied, coming out of the pantry after taking a moment to find it. He kissed her forehead while handing her the small jar,"You should visit me at the office someday."

At that, Rafa's eyes glinted in newfound joy, "I would love to."

Abdur Rehman grinned, "Manahil calls my co-workers minions."

"What? Why?" She laughed.

To answer her question, he nodded, "Because she thinks I'm grumpy and killjoy."

Rafa stared at him. "What? No you're not!"

He quickly peeked outside the kitchen to check if his mother's bedroom door was closed. "That's because I'm different around you." There was that teasing look again in his eyes, increasing Rafa's heartbeats. His caramel brown eyes, the exact same pairs which were more warmer and mellow than the rich milk chocolate batter Rafa was stirring, stared at her with mischief, before he hugged her tightly, licking away the raw flour she had mistakenly wiped on her cheek.

"Abdur Rehman-" Rafa protested in surprise.

"Oops, sorry!" He cheekily replied, retreating his arms from her abdomen and taking a step back. "I couldn't resist."

Rafa elbowed him lightly, "You should leave. You aren't letting me concentrate." Her whines only made him laugh more.

"Okay." He took his arms up in surrender, "I will be in the living room in case you need me. I will help you locate an ingredient or to carry you to our room if you feel tired."